[connect.audit] MNP5 software

daven@ibmpcug.co.uk (D R Newman) (11/10/89)

dgs@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (David G. Schwartz) wrote:
>cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) writes:
>>As for FlashLink, it came with my modem (from Cardinal Technologies
>>in Lancaster, PA). It implements MNP levels 2, 4 and 5.
>
>I also bought this modem but found the software to be virtually useless and
>have discontinued using it. However, I _would_ like to be able to use the
>MNP 5.

That's what comes from using newly developed software. In the UK, modems are
so expensive that a number of programmers started writing MNP software engines
some time ago. Two comms. programs have developed to the stage that they work
reliably and well, Odyssey and Transend Plus.

I use Odyssey, so I will say a little about it. It costs 70 pounds from
Micropack Ltd., Unit 12, Berryden Business Centre, 12 Berryden Road, Aberdeen
AB2 3SA, Scotland. Tel. (0224) 631100. It was developed by Don Milne, who is
an enthusiastic user of bulletin boards, and who got a lot of help in testing
and feedback from many of the users of the CIX multi-user system. It handles
MNP2, 4 and 5 in software on any PC (8088 to 80386) - he's got the MNP engine
code tight enough that you don't need a fast machine to run it. It is also
a good comms. program, up to Telix standards. It's script language is Pascal-,
or rather Modula-like, including commands to watch for patterns in the
background and respond to them whenever they occur. Indeed, he has written it
so that you can do many other things at the same time as the link and MNP
engine are maintained - so file transfers (X,Y,Zmodem, Kermit, ASCII and some
variants) go on in the backgound while you can edit files using the built-in
editor (or rather two editors, one for a file, one to review recently received
text - instead of a backscroll view, you get an editor). The software MNP
engine knows enough about file transfer to set the MNP packet lengths to the
file transfer packet lengths, and behaves more intelligently during file
transfer than hardware MNP engines. It uses a menuing, text-based interface
(except for viewdata, which is done in graphics mode), with Alt-key shortcuts,
supports 6 common terminal emulations, and has all the usual comms. package
facilities, with one or two neat touches - like a message picker. It's good
enough that a number of users are still using it after buying MNP modems.

I know less about Transend, but it is reputed to at last have stable MNP
operation (the programmer started after Don Milne did). It has much better
viewdata support, including real 1200/75 split baud rate on an IBM. Another
European comms. program, MTE, does not yet have reliable MNP working - from
the sound of it, Flashback is the same.

Dave Newman       daven@ibmpcug.co.uk       gn:davenewman
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Stephen M. Dunn) (11/13/89)

dgs@swdev.Waterloo.NCR.COM (David G. Schwartz) wrote:
>I wrote:
>>As for FlashLink, it came with my modem (from Cardinal Technologies
>>in Lancaster, PA). It implements MNP levels 2, 4 and 5.
>I also bought this modem but found the software to be virtually useless and
>have discontinued using it. However, I _would_ like to be able to use the
>MNP 5.

   I have a few gripes with the software, the primary one being that it
emulates an ANSI terminal (which is _not_ quite the same as a VT100).  The
fact that I have to leave FL in order to do a file transfer is due to a
problem with our Sun rather than with FL (although it would have been nice
if they had included more than just X and Ymodem ...).

   I have found that living with these problems has not been too much of an
inconvenience to force me to give up higher-speed, _error-free_ data
links ... in fact, even if it only did MNP level 4 (no compression), I
would likely still use it for the error-correction alone.

   When communicating with a non-MNP host, I use Procomm Plus because it
does VT102 emulation and has so many more file transfer protocols; other
than these two features, though, I don't really use anything in Procomm
that isn't in FlashLink.  But then again, I don't transfer files that often
on this system, and almost every other system I've used has had a working
version of X or Y modem.

DISCLAIMER:  I have no affiliation with Datastorm Technologies, Cardinal
      Technologies, Microcom, or MagicSoft except that I have used their
      products.
--
Stephen M. Dunn                               cs4g6ag@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca
          <std_disclaimer.h> = "\nI'm only an undergraduate!!!\n";