[connect.audit] Object-Oriented Requirements Analysis: An Introduction

daven@ibmpcug.co.uk (D R Newman) (12/08/89)

dwiggins@atsun.a-t.com (Don Dwiggins) wrote:
>In article <628@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> eberard (Edward Berard) writes:
>>..the development part of the object-oriented life-cycle is best accomplished
>>using a recursive/parallel approach, i.e., "analyze a little, design a little,
>>implement a little, and test a little."
>.. but I don't remember seeing a published reference for it... the name leaves
>me a "little" uneasy (:-); read naively, there doesn't seem to be much
>structure to it. How does one know when to do which, and when to stop and do
>something else? How is progress to be measured in this model? etc...

There are many references to this iterative (and recursive) approach to
product development. This process is called "Action research" by those
involved in rural development projects in the Third World, and goes under
other names when used by business studies people to explain the least risky
way to develop innovations. These people have already studied in depth the
problems that Don Dwiggins mentioned, and have answers.

I could put together a list of references, if there are any readers who
believe, as I do, that software development is not unique, but shares problems
common to all technological innovation and implantation. So far, I have only
found AI people willing to look to other disciplines for answers to their
problems, so I doubt that anyone here would be interested.

Dave Newman, Consultants in Appropriate Technology
daven@ibmpcug.co.uk (on Usenet) or gn:davenewman (on IGC/CDP networks).
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not