[connect.audit] Hard Disk hookup via parallel port...?

daven@ibmpcug.co.uk (D R Newman) (01/05/90)

In article <1676.259f524a@cc.helsinki.fi>, stickler@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>Does anyone know of a hard disk which can be hooked to a non-hard disk laptop
>through the parallel (or serial) port.

Yes, the Datafile series of portable hard disks, which connect to any PC
through the parallel port, available in 40, 100 and 200 MB sizes. Details
from Stratum Technology Ltd., Cockayne House, Woodley, Reading RG5 3JH,
England, Tel. (0734) 441236.

This is new, and so as yet unknown in less-developed countries like the
USA :-). I heard of it, because I suggested on CIX that such a thing might be
useful to development consultants and planners in the field. I have not seen
it or used it, so I do not know how good it is, but the specs. suggest a good
data transfer rate.
-----
Dave Newman, Consultants in Appropriate Technology, 188 (2A) Bedford Hill,
London SW12 9HL, England.     Tel. 01-675 5933    Usenet: daven@ibmpcug.co.uk
IPC networks (Eco/Peace/GreenNet): gn:davenewman   JANET: daven@uk.co.ibmpcug
CIX: davenewman@cix.cix.uucp
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not