[connect.audit] OS/2 UPDATE, 3 partitions

duncanb@ibmpcug.co.uk (D G Booth) (06/27/90)

In article <940@metapyr.UUCPdavid@metapyr.UUCP (David Relson) writes:
> In order to partition a disk so that both DOS & OS/2 can use it and boot from
> it requires that you follow some special rules.
>
> The first rule is that DOS won't (can't) access a FAT partition that is on a
> disk after a HPFS partition.  Therefore for your needs all your FAT partitions
> must be before the HPFS partition.
>
> Secondly the boot partition must be a FAT partition (for access by both
> systems).

Neither of these are completely true. My hard disc is partitioned
as follows:
1) 220Mb HPFS. Boot partition for OS/2 only.
2) 20Mb FAT. Boot partition for DOS only.
3) 79Mb FAT. Shared OS/2 DOS partition.

Note that partition number 2 is DOS only - i.e. OS/2 does not see it.
To get a disc like this install as follows:

    Backup your files.
     Delete any old partitions.
    Install OS/2. FDISK and FORMAT to give a 220Mb primary partition.
    Boot up DOS from a floppy. Use FDISK to create a 20Mb primary DOS
    partition, and the rest of the disc as a secondary DOS partition.
    FDISK at this point will see the OS/2 partition as an alien partition
    so it will leave it alone.

Now if you use fdisk (or the pm equivalent) to change the active partition
between 1 and 2, you will boot to OS/2 or DOS respectively.
Shared files go on DRIVE D:, the third partition.
Better than fdisk, there are programs around that will give you a menu on each
reboot when you can select the partition to boot from (with a timeout
default).

Duncan Boothe
--

[...]

Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
represent the views of the IBM PC User Group.