[connect.audit] Is Unify perfect?

raelun@ibmpcug.co.uk (Paul Ellis) (06/30/90)

Hi ,

Well I also am interested in ay feedback from unify users on the net
and more importantly any net users who want to know more on our products
especially UK based people.

Question : How many of you know about the Full Unify product range ?

Question : What do you know about the Accell Development Suite

I notice alot of users querying Oracle/Informix/Sybase etc

Did you know Accell sits on top of the above Databases ? and enables easy
intergration of applications accross these backends .

How about the use of multiple front end systems on the same application with
no code changes ? inlcuding windows/Open Look/and standard ASCII text ??

Keep an eye on the industry press you will notice a great deal of news
regarding our products soon.

As the open systems market matures so will our market share grow !!

Those people in UK may be interested in a report from Butler Bloor
comparing Databases on a variety of platforms.

UNIFY 2000 comes out well in this report !

Rae. aka Paul Ellis Unify Corporation UK.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

Relax and Have Fun !!!!
The rest of the world will sort itself out given half a chance !!

bill@twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) (06/30/90)

In <1990Jun29.170422.3296@ibmpcug.co.uk> raelun@ibmpcug.co.uk (Paul Ellis) writes:

[..]
>I notice alot of users querying Oracle/Informix/Sybase etc

>Did you know Accell sits on top of the above Databases ? and enables easy
>intergration of applications accross these backends .

IMHO Unify's decision to unbundle their Accell 4GL frontend from their DB
engine  was  one  of  the best marketing strategies I've  seen  in  quite
awhile.   Unify  developed an excellent development environment and  user
interface in the Accell product, but their market share in DB sales was a
fraction of what it once was.

Other  DB  vendors  had gained market share for their engines,  but  were
lacking  the  sophistication  in the 4GL arena.  Their  decision  not  to
reinvent the wheel was a wise one, which when coupled to Unify's decision
to  sell Accell without the Unify engine, is in the process of  producing
one of the most exciting environments since C.

A  developer now has the ability, once he has selected Accell, to develop
applications  that  can  run on any of the major  DB  platforms...without
rewriting  the  application!   From what I have gathered  at  user  group
meetings,  one  only has to be careful not to use structures for  one  DB
that  are not available in other DBs.  Even so, porting to another DB and
having to rewrite some sections of code to use the new engine's syntax is
a far cry from rewriting the entire application.

We  have  had  Unify in-house for over seven years now and  added  Accell
about two years ago.  Unfortunately, other demands have precluded us from
developing  in Accell as much as we had planned, but I've seen enough  of
it to know it is the right choice for a portable 4GL application.

Once  I  start  converting  some Unify applications into  Accell  I  will
probably have some questions to bounce off those of you who are using it.
I'm going to take the developer's training at Unify first to get grounded
in the basics.

Teaser:  Do you know how to get an SQL to run from cron that can make use
of the system date for determining valid records for processing by RPT?
--
Bill Irwin - TWG The Westrheim Group - Vancouver, BC, Canada
uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems

hawkwind@encore.kent.edu (Len Jaffe) (06/30/90)

In article <209@twg.UUCP> bill@twg.UUCP (Bill Irwin) writes:
[Big time text deletion]

>Teaser:  Do you know how to get an SQL to run from cron that can make use
>of the system date for determining valid records for processing by RPT?

Set up the query in a shell script using there here document form
and use the date command to fill in part of the here document. Then set
up a cron entry to run that shell script.

example script:
:
$DATE=`date| parsing command like awk, sed or perl`

SQL << EOF
select a_foo, a_bar
from foo_table
where
	a_foo = 8
	a_bar = $DATE
into 'foo.output'
/
EOF

>Bill Irwin - TWG The Westrheim Group - Vancouver, BC, Canada
>uunet!van-bc!twg!bill     (604) 431-9600 (voice) |     UNIX Systems
>bill@twg.UUCP             (604) 431-4629 (fax)   |     Integration

Len Jaffe
--
 Leonard A.  Jaffe, Work: 216/591-0240