[connect.audit] Eiffel and C++

immo@ibmpcug.co.uk (Immo Huneke) (03/17/91)

In article <39100@netnews.upenn.edu> alberto@grasp.cis.upenn.edu (Alberto Izaguirre) writes:
> Can someone tell me if Eiffel is better than C++.
> Or better can someone compare both of them.
> Tx, Alberto
In Logica several years back, we participated in an ESPRIT project (HTDS). A
preliminary investigation revealed that Eiffel was preferable to release 1 of
C++, but we couldn't afford it and eventually did the project quite success-
fully in Oregon C++, which was close to Release 2.
My opinion now is that both have shortcomings, and that you take your pick
according to what you are trying to do. I know C++ a bit better than Eiffel,
so the shortcomings I perceive in C++ are:
- lack of facilities for dynamic binding
- problems with garbage collection (there isn't any)
- no standard way of saving objects in a database or passing them between
  tasks.
On the plus side, it is very efficient, it does not suffer from Smalltalk-
like namespace pollution, and a lot of useful class libraries are now readily
available.
You may also be interested in looking at Objective-C from Stepstone Corp.
Brad Cox (founder of this company) thought up the idea of "software ICs" and
has been steadily expanding the available programme for the last five years.
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not