[connect.audit] Real Prolog applicatios?

vassili@ibmpcug.co.uk (Vassilis Konstantinou) (04/06/91)

In article <1062@creatures.cs.vt.edu> holliday@csgrad.cs.vt.edu () writes:

> 	It occurs to me that all the examples of Prolog systems I'm
> familiar with are research projects.  Does anybody have good examples
> of applications written in Prolog which are doing useful work in the
> real world?
> 	Brief email descriptions are fine.  I'll be happy to post a
> summary of there's interest.
> 	Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Glenn       | holliday@csgrad.cs.vt.edu            OR
> Holliday    | GHOLLID@access.nswc.navy.mil

Well, our group is working for the last 2.5 years on a project for
Unisys corp. that involves a real life PROLOG Expert System.

The project aims to develop an expert system for both
hardware and software maintenance for all Unisys products.

The core expert system we are using is developed in
PROLOG. So far we have installed three prototype
systems around the world and they are undergoing beta-testing
evaluation.

The first results of this evalution should that the system can improve
the efficiency of the customer services up to 30%.

The system (called TIME) is going to be available to both
Unisys customers and employes. To offer this type access, the
system is installed in centralised Unix systems and allows both
local and remote (via modems) connections.

Time, is based around a Production Rule System and collaborates
with an Intelligent Hypertext based Electronic Documentation
System that offers fast search facilities to all Unisys
documentation.

For more information about the project please do not hesitate to
contact us at the following addressess:

Vassilis Konstantinou
Head of AI Research Group
School of Computer Science
The Polytechnic of Central London
115 New Cavendish Street
London W1M 8JS
England

Tel: +44-71-911-5000 ext 3598
Fax: +44-71-911-5089

Email: vassilis@uk.ac.pcl.sun    (JANET)
       konstan@uk.ac.pcl.mole    (JANET)
       vassili@ibmpcug.CO.UK
       vassilis@cix.UUCP
       vassilis@bix

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not