[connect.audit] reading mac diskettes on an ibm compat.

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) (04/07/91)

In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
> This may sound a little strange...but...
> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>
> Any help would be appreciated....:)

    There are at least 2 solutions to this.

 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
     able to read them directly.

 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
     which is which.

 Hope this helps.

Graham

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) (04/07/91)

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) writes:

>In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
>> This may sound a little strange...but...
>> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
>> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
>> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
>> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
>> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated....:)
>>
>    There are at least 2 solutions to this.

> 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
>     able to read them directly.

> 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
>     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
>     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
>     which is which.

or:
   3) There is the easiest way.. if your Mac has a superdrive, there's
	  an init called initPC (i think) that allows the Mac to do the
	  writing in PC format for either HD or 720.. I friend has it; i'll
	  check if its shareware or PD; if it is, i'll binhex and email it
	  to you if you want. If it isn't, ask some comp.mac types (i don't
	  read those groups, so i can't tell you if its been discussed).

nye

c60b-1eq@web-1e.berkeley.edu (Noam Mendelson) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr7.085103.28026@nntp-server.caltech.edu> nyet@nntp-server.caltech.edu (n liu) writes:
>gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) writes:
>>In article <111369@unix.cis.pitt.edu> kline@unix.cis.pitt.edu (William E Kline) writes:
>>> This may sound a little strange...but...
>>> I need to be able to convert mac diskettes to an IBM machine.  I currently
>>> have a 386sx/20 with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch H.D. drives.  Is there currently
>>> any software or hardware that will let me read a mac diskette directly
>>> onto my ibm comp, or simply convert it in?
>>> I will be converting MAC Pagemaker files for printing...
>>> Any help would be appreciated....:)
>>    There are at least 2 solutions to this.
>> 1) If the MAC disks are the newer high density type then the PC should be
>>     able to read them directly.
>> 2) There is a board/software by MicroSolutions called either MatchMaker
>>     or MatchPoint. One of these allows a PC to access an Apple II disk,
>>     the other allows reading/writing of MAC disks, but I can't remeber
>>     which is which.
>or:
>   3) There is the easiest way.. if your Mac has a superdrive, there's
>	  an init called initPC (i think) that allows the Mac to do the
>	  writing in PC format for either HD or 720.. I friend has it; i'll
>	  check if its shareware or PD; if it is, i'll binhex and email it
>	  to you if you want. If it isn't, ask some comp.mac types (i don't
>	  read those groups, so i can't tell you if its been discussed).

If your Mac has superdrive, you can use the Apple File Exchange.  It should
come with your Mac and I believe it is shareware.  The AFE is a simple
program which will convert files from one format to the other.  It can
also format diskettes in MSDOS format on your Mac.
But this is assuming you have a Mac.

| Noam Mendelson   ..!agate!ucbvax!web!c60b-1eq | "I haven't lost my mind, |
| c60b-1eq@web.Berkeley.EDU                     |  it's backed up on tape  |
| University of California at Berkeley          |  somewhere."             |