[connect.audit] using share in dos4

gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk (G Murray) (05/18/91)

In article <1991May17.160145.10245@nntp-server.caltech.edu> heathh@kanga (Heath Ian Hunnicutt) writes:

> Imagine you have the following config.sys:
> 1: DEVICE=C:OLDTHING.SYS
> 2: INSTALL SHARE.EXE
>
> Further imagine that OLDTHING uses FCBs.  Now imagine what happens if OLDTHING
> starts out using FCBs and then SHARE comes along and buts in.  Now imagine a
> hard drive full of worhtless random bytes.

 I think that you will find that OLDTHING *cant* use FCBs, or handles for
that matter. As it is in a DEVICE= line on config.sys, this implies that
it is a device driver. Only a very limited number of DOS calls are allowed
in a device driver, either during initialisation or during running. In
particular, no file handling calls, either FCB or handle based, are allowed.
Hence, OLDTHING.SYS shouldn't be able to trash the Hard Disk because it is
loaded before SHARE.EXE

Graham Murray			  Email gmurray@ibmpcug.co.uk
Senior Programmer		    OR  gmurray@cix.compulink.co.uk
Gravatom Technology Ltd		  Voice +44 329 823986

Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not
represent the views of the IBM PC User Group.