[connect.audit] Using IDE and MFM Drives together

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (06/04/91)

My experience of mixing drive types:
MFM as drive 0, SCSI as drive 1.  SCSI controller is ST01, drive is ST296N
and both drives are partitioned using Ontrack's Disk Manager.
Drive 0 gets the C: partition, then drive 1 gets D:, then the rest of
drive 0, then the rest of drive 1, thus:

Dr0...              Dr1...
C:                  D:
E:                  G:
F:                  H:
which is confusing, but that's the way DM does it.

I had no problems installing, the BIOS on the ST01 copes with being the
second drive without the PC BIOS knowing about it (the setup is NOT INSTALLED
for the second drive).  On power up, the SCSI BIOS waits for the drive to come
ready, and reports: 1 SCSI drive found.  The booting then continues.

The real fun starts when the ST296 sticks (see separate thread).  Then it
reports no drive found, and the system boots with drives C,D,E on the first
disk.
BTW, I'm not able to reformat the SCSI drive, as it reports 'drive reset error'
but it's been running for 12+ months, so I'll leave it alone.
Next job: replace the MFM drive with a 200M IDE (Conner).  Anyone got any
comments on this?

Happy computing, folks!
Howard.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

mstr@vipunen.hut.fi (Markus Strand) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.225932.22140@ibmpcug.co.uk> hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) writes:
>My experience of mixing drive types:
>MFM as drive 0, SCSI as drive 1.  SCSI controller is ST01, drive is ST296N
>and both drives are partitioned using Ontrack's Disk Manager.
>Drive 0 gets the C: partition, then drive 1 gets D:, then the rest of
>drive 0, then the rest of drive 1, thus:
>
>Dr0...              Dr1...
>C:                  D:
>E:                  G:
>F:                  H:
>which is confusing, but that's the way DM does it.

This happens if the first partition of Dr1 is primary DOS. If
you make all partitions on Dr1 extended DOS they come after the
extended partitions on Dr0. There are no reasons why Dr1 should have
any primary DOS partitions because you can't boot from it.

Markus Strand