[connect.audit] Ink jets - HP DeskJet 500 vs Canon BJ 300

hdrw@ibmpcug.co.uk (Howard Winter) (06/19/91)

In article <6324@mindlink.bc.ca> Joel_Murray@mindlink.bc.ca (Joel Murray) writes:
> > herbie@sol0.cs.monash.edu.au writes:
> >
> > [...]  The HP tends to make its ink run along the paper fibres a little,
> > whereas the Canons don't.  I attribute this to the HP using more ink per
> > squirt.
> >
> I own a DeskJet Plus and have been really pleased with the output.  The
> bleeding problem you mention is more due to the paper one uses than with the
> printer or its ink.
>
> It took me a little experimentation to find the right type of paper, but as the
> manual states, "most cotton bond papers yield excellent results."  I have to
> agree.  Any paper that has the word "bond" in its name has a high rag (cotton)
> content and thus should yield excellent results.

Just a small nitpick:  I used to work for a paper company,
and I seem to remember that rag has just about ceased
to be used nowadays.  I believe something like Esparto
grass is used when long fibres are needed.

I'm not arguing that a Bond paper isn't good for inkjet
printers, but I think the surface finish has more to do
with it than the fibres.

The need is to stop the ink penetrating, and I'm
not sure that the fibres can affect this much.

If you look at the paper HP sells for the Paintjet,
you'll find that the surface is very much smoother and
more 'solid' than normal listing paper.  It's also
a darn sight more expensive... but the results are
very much better - darker and with no feathering.

Just my tuppenceworth,

Howard.

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not