[bionet.agroforestry] Let's talk!

fore057@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (06/19/91)

What a pity this echo is empty.  Is it international, or just within NZ?

I'm interested in G & Y modelling and forestry applications of artificial
intelligence - these are the subjects of my thesis.  We grow plenty of Pinus
radiata down here, although we dabble with some other species.  Naturally I'm
modelling the growth of P. rad..  The data I have covers ages 0-5, which adds
interest for a number of reasons - there's liitle competition between trees
prior to age 4, mortality decreases with age, and the trees are extremely
sensitive to site preparation, weed control, etc..

On the AI front, I've developed a decision support system for managers engaged
in weed control (or vegeatation management, as we label it here).

If any of this interests you, or you want to talk about something else, then
get posting.

Regards,
Euan Mason

bryans@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (B. Charles Siegfried) (06/19/91)

fore057@csc.canterbury.ac.nz writes:

>What a pity this echo is empty.  Is it international, or just within NZ?

	I'm in the Midwestern US, so it's not just in New Zealand.
I guess there just aren't many people reading the group.

	An expert program for killing weeds.  Is it ftpable?  I bet
you might have written a quite opular program there.

__
Bryan Siegfried					zig@uiuc.edu
Biology and Economics at UIUC

alonso@hardy.u.washington.edu (Ernesto Alvarado) (06/19/91)

I see that this is not very active group, you posting made it to the Western
USA. Your project sounds interesting, around this part of the world there is
a lot of interest about the application of AI to natural resources. Even there
is a journal fo AI application to natural resources. Couple of students did
the dissertation on AI and silviculture. My professor is trying to implement
some of the AI concepts to forest fires.

Ernesto Alvarado

spf@cbnewsl.att.com (Steve Frysinger of Blue Feather Farm) (06/20/91)

From article <1991Jun19.163930.8792@hardy.u.washington.edu>, by alonso@hardy.u.washington.edu (Ernesto Alvarado):
> Even there
> is a journal fo AI application to natural resources.

Could you post a reference to this?  It sounds interesting!

Steve Frysinger