[uw.mfcf.bugs] x11 xterm has bad-tty-inherit bug of old xterms

idallen@watmath.waterloo.edu (08/24/89)

From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>

Oh sigh.  This is what happens when we fix things and never send in
the fixes.  We'll have to do better with x11 stuff.

If you start up an x11 xterm, it tries very hard to get its stty settings
from the terminal on which it is started.  If you start it in the
background while you happen to be in VI or while you have an RLOGIN
session running on that tty, it will create you a very unhappy
xterm window with unusable stty settings.

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (08/24/89)

In article <28614@watmath.waterloo.edu> idallen@watmath.waterloo.edu writes:
>From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>
>
>Oh sigh.  This is what happens when we fix things and never send in
>the fixes.  We'll have to do better with x11 stuff.

I've been sending in every bug fix or improvement I make.  I've been
religious about it almost :-)