[uw.mfcf.bugs] sun OS 4

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (08/31/89)

From: "John M. Sellens" <jmsellens>

| From wrpullyblank@water.waterloo.edu  Wed Aug 30 10:25:38 1989
| From: "William R. Pulleyblank" <wrpullyblank@water>
| To: jmsellens@watmath
| Subject: sun OS 4
|
| John - I am trying to use chess as a standalone machine, and am having a few
| problems.  For example, when I tried to run latex, I received the message
|
| /usr/software/.admin/bins/bin/latex: Stale NFS file handle.
|
| Should I be doing something to set the machine up?
|
| Thanks - Bill Pulleyblank

That's not really a standalone machine - it's getting everything from
watfun.  For some reason, /.software/local/.admin which was mounted
from fun was stale and needed to be remounted.  I did that and
it seems to work now, but I think it will fail again the next
time that xh-make-links is run, because xh-make-links moves
/.software/local/.admin on watfun and recreates it.  However, if
chess mounted fun's /.software/local somewhere (like
/server/.software/local or somethinig like that) and then made
/.software/local/.admin a symlink to the right place on fun then
that would work, but maybe that would exceed the symlink limit.
Or chess has a complete g partition (about 40MB) that it is not
using - maybe it should really have it's own /.software/local/.admin.
Probably trying to use someone else's bins/bin directories is a bad
idea in any case.  Or are these "regional" files instead?