[uw.mfcf.bugs] searchpath problems

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (09/11/89)

In article <499@shine22.watshine.waterloo.edu> dmcanzi@watshine.waterloo.edu (David Canzi) writes:
>In other words, if a user gets into trouble, tough noogies.  He should
>have *obeyed*.
We don't mean it like that.  It's just that in order to use MFCF commands,
you essentially must use either searchpath or showpath to set your path.
Things change from time to time and we need some way to notify users, so
if they don't read the news, we can't tell them that things are changing
and they will end up in trouble.  We're trying to say "do it this way,
or you'll have trouble", people don't do it that way, and then they are
surprised when they end up in trouble.  I don't see a way around these problems,
but if anyone has any ideas, we'd be glad to hear them.

>Why not just make the showpath manual page available to the ordinary
>man command, as has been done already with the .cshrc man page?
There are lots of historical leftovers that we have added to standard
directories.  The .cshrc man page is but one of them.  New systems
(e.g. Sun OS 4.0, Dynix, MIPS) don't have any local additions to
standard man directories, and as few as possible to other standard
directories.

>Perhaps, as a general principle, if MFCF installs a locally created
>command in a standard directory (ie. /bin), then the man page should be
>installed in a standard directory (ie. /usr/man/man1) too.
Makes sense to me.