[fa.info-vax] GNUmacs

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/08/85)

From: *Hobbit* <AWalker@RUTGERS.ARPA>

Don't lose any sleep over (c) James Gosling notices in GNUmacs sources.
It just tells you that GNUmacs is a rewrite of an *old* Gosling Emacs,
just as Unipress emacs is.  The only difference [aside from the new
code] is that Unipress wants money for their version.  Here at Rutgers
we have a *very* old EMACS.EXE that was obtained way back in the 2.? VMS
days when Gosmacs was public domain.  It still runs..... gak!

_H*
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: David Teodosio <Teodosio@YALE.ARPA>

Does anyone know where/how I can get this? (Public Domain Emacs).

Thanks,

David Teodosio
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/13/85)

From: Travis Lee Winfrey <Us.Travis@CU20B.ARPA>

From: sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki)
Subject: GNU EMACS from Harvard (new information)
Date: 1 Apr 85 19:03:09 GMT
To:       unix-wizards@brl-tgr.arpa

GNU EMACS is available on harvard via anonymous ftp. Please do transfers
during off hours.

There are two files:

	~ftp/gnu/compress/emacs.tar	-tar format
	~ftp/gnu/compress/emacs.tar.Z	-compressed tar format

emacs.tar.Z is compressed using the compress program distributed on
net.sources a while back. It isn't the most recent copy (unfortunately).
The source is in the file ~ftp/gnu/compress/compress.c. To decompress do
"compress -d -c emacs.tar.Z >emacs.tar".

Earlier versions of the compressed format were done using a version of
compress that had several serious bugs in it.

Send questions, suggestions, etc. to gnu@harvard or sasaki@harvard.
--
 ----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

it's also available at mit-prep, but I think they kill their ftp demon after
about 9pm.  it's pretty speedy getting it from harvard, if you follow his
request about doing it during off-hours.

GNU emacs has some bugs -- it's still under development, incredibly -- but it
is already the best emacs I've ever seen.

Travis
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/20/85)

From: ihnp4!houxm!hou2e!grl@BERKELEY

I believe that the computer center at Carnegie-Mellon U. is the place for
you.