[net.music] Morse covers

blickstein@babel.DEC (Dave Blickstein) (08/07/85)

Attention Bush League!  I'm sorry but there's not a single thing related
to your goddess in this note.   Sorry.

A long time ago someone asked what covers anyone has seen Steve Morse and
the Dregs do.

When I first became acquainted with the Dregs, they weren't called that.
They were the U. of Miami Jazz Rock Ensemble, a class project for credit.
They did quite a few covers back then.  The ones I remember were:

	1. Jessica, by the Allman Bros.
	2. Celestrial Terrestrial Commuters, by Mahavishnu Orchestra
	3. Trilogy, also by Mahavishnu Orchestra
	4. Dixie, traditional tune turned into a Dregsian Rave-up
	5. The Bash, traditional tune later recorded on "Night of the Living
		Dregs"

More recently, Morse and Mark O'Connor used to do a fantastic violin/guitar duet
based on another traditional tune.  I wish I could get a recording of that.

During each concert Morse also did an improvised solo, usually during the
break in Cruise Control.   He almost always included some kind of musical
"quote" although I don't think you could really call them covers.  Over
the years, the "quotes" that I can remember include:

	1. "Miss You" (?), the Rollings Stones disco entry
	2. Freeway Jam, Jeff Beck
	3. Dazed and Confused, Led Zeppelin
	4. I Ain't Superstitious, Jeff Beck (Morses favorite album cut)
	5. Heartbreaker, Led Zeppelin

Incidently, Morse is working on a follow-up solo album.  He's invited a
fair number of guest artists to play on it including Trevor Rabin of Yes,
Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant, and the incomparable Allan Holdsworth, among
others.

Also, Morse fans might be interested to know that there are now two Morse
releases in the CD format.  "The Introduction" and "Dregs of the Earth".
A usually reliable source tells me that the next CD reissue will be
(get ready for this) "Freefall".

And as I've mentioned before, if anyones knows how I might obtain a copy (or
even a tape) of the VERY first Dregs album, which is called "The Great
Spectacular", please contact me.

	Dave Blickstein
	(603) 881-2081 during the day (EST)

(UUCP)  {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-orphan!blickstein

(ARPA)  BLICKSTEIN%ORPHAN.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (08/08/85)

> Attention Bush League!  I'm sorry but there's not a single thing
> related to your goddess in this note.  Sorry.

That's okay.  We can deal with it!

But actually there were things related to our "goddess" in your message.
First there was the above sentence, which is very neurotic, if you ask
me.  Secondly, Kate Bush has worked with Geoff Downes, who was in Yes
for a little bit.  Thirdly, there is a rumor (I know not of what
validity) that Derek Shulman of Gentle Giant makes an appearance on
Kate's new album.

		"I caught a glimpse of a god, all shining and bright"

		 Doug Alan
		  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (08/08/85)

In article <3495@decwrl.UUCP> blickstein@babel.DEC (Dave Blickstein) writes:

>During each concert Morse also did an improvised solo, usually during the
>break in Cruise Control.   He almost always included some kind of musical
>"quote" although I don't think you could really call them covers.  Over
>the years, the "quotes" that I can remember include:
>
>	3. Dazed and Confused, Led Zeppelin

   I saw them many years back at the Union theater here.  Morse did the excerpt
from "Dazed and Confused"; it was great!  Page never played it so well.
   Pardon my ignorance, but are they still around?  The last album I'm familiar
with is Dregs of the Earth (I believe).

rosen@ucbvax.ARPA (Rob Rosen) (08/10/85)

In article <1383@uwmacc.UUCP> oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) writes:
>   Pardon my ignorance, but are they still around?  The last album I'm familiar
>with is Dregs of the Earth (I believe).

   Unfortunately, the Dregs broke up a few years back after they lost their
label (I believe it was Arista, but I'm not sure).  Steve Morse and Rod
Morgenstein went on to form the backbone of the Steve Morse band, which has
at least one album out on the Musician label ("The Introduction").  T Lavitz
played on an album by a group called Art in America (I don't know what happened
to them, but I believe T had something to do with the production of that album),
and Andy West moved to the Bay Area and was gigging for awhile with Joaquin
Lievano, the wonderful guitarist formerly with Jean-Luc Ponty.  I'm not sure
what happened to the violinist who played with them on the last album (INDUSTRY
STANDARD, 1982 I believe), but apparently Allen Sloan went to medical school
and is presumably in residency somewhere.

     A tip for die-hard Dreggies: in 1978 or so Capricorn Records released a
compilation album called HOTELS, MOTELS, and ROAD SHOWS (I think that's the
name of it); on it were featured cuts by Capricorn's various bands (the Allman
Brothers were on Capricorn, I believe).  The Dregs (then the Dixie Dregs) were
featured on one cut from FREEFALL which just happens to be a live rendition of
"Refried Funky Chicken."  I haven't got the album, so I can't tell you if
it's worth the search (it should be in cutout bins), but if you see it some-
where, buy it 'cause it should only be $5.99 or so.

--
            "No one ever went broke underestimating the taste
	     (or intelligence) of the American public."

		  --H.L. Mencken

		       --Rob Rosen

		       ...ucbvax!rosen
		       rosen@ucb-vax.berkeley.edu