[misc.headlines.unitex] UNICEF: DISNEY, UNICEF PLAN JOINT HEALTH PROJECT

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/14/89)

UNICEF: DISNEY, UNICEF PLAN JOINT HEALTH PROJECT

   (Los Angeles Times, August 9, 364 words, BYLINE: CHARLES STROUSE)

   Mickey Mouse has made children laugh for 60 years, but later this year
he's moving into a more serious business: saving them.

   Walt Disney Co., Mickey's creator, and UNICEF, the United Nations
Children's Fund, announced Tuesday that they will begin a pilot project in
Guatemala by the end of the year using Disney characters to educate
parents and children about disease and sanitation.

   Details of the agreement have not been decided, and Disney
representatives could not specify how much aid would be provided, but
UNICEF officials said the group plans to use Disney artists and marketing
knowledge.

   "This is more important than money," said UNICEF Executive Director
James P. Grant. "When Mickey or Donald Duck speak, children and their
parents listen."

Most Useful Alliance

   Officials hope to expand the project worldwide, eventually producing
videos, comic books and audiotapes with Disney characters trumpeting
UNICEF health advice. Because UNICEF spends as much as 70% of its budget
on distributing information, Disney's participation could be its most
useful alliance, officials said.

   Grant and Roy Disney, Walt Disney Co. vice chairman, re-dedicated
Disneyland's 25-year-old "It's a Small World" attraction in honor of the
partnership on Tuesday. Disney noted that the ride was created by the
Disney Co. for the UNICEF Pavilion at the 1964 New York World's Fair.

   Officials chose Guatemala for the first Disney-UNICEF project because
it has a relatively small population but one of the world's highest infant
mortality rates.

Book to Be Interpreted

   "We also picked Guatemala because it's tough," said Grant. "Much of the
population is illiterate and there are still political murders in the
country, so if we can save lives there, we can save them anywhere."

   Disney said one of the new partnership's first projects probably will
be to interpret a book UNICEF published in July for the International
Assn. of Pediatricians. It details several dozen simple steps to prevent
infant deaths,
such as immunization and longer breast feeding.

   "Starvation isn't funny no matter how you look at it," Disney said.
"But we'll try to get our message across in a fun way."

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)
--
unitex - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!unitex

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange