[misc.headlines.unitex] UNICEF: AFRICA: WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/14/89)

UNICEF: AFRICA: WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION

   Despite recent measures to control the spread of the Acquired Immune
Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) in Africa, cases of the killer disease continue
to increase, according to a World Health Organization (WHO) report issued
here today.

   The report counts Africa as having a total of 30,082 cases. Of that
number, Uganda heads the list with 6,772 cases, Kenya is second with 5,949
and Tanzania follows with 4,158.

   "More cases are being reported to the World Health Organization and
there is definitely a remarkable increase in the number of people who have
AIDS in Africa," says Dr. Benjamin Nkowane, an epidemiologist with the WHO
in Geneva.

   But delegates to the Africa regional conference of the International
Epidemiological Association (IEA) here point out that these figures do not
reflect the extent to which the deadly disease has spread throughout the
continent.

   "The problem we have is that our governments always want to
underestimate the figures when reporting them to the WHO," says Dr.
William Phiri of Zambia. He added, however, that "these snags are now
being overcome and some governments are now being open."

   Zambia has been especially hard-hit by the disease, and latest figures
indicate that cases are increasing in this Southern African nation.

   Nkowane says reporting of AIDS cases in other African countries (mostly
sub-Saharan Africa, where AIDS is transmitted heterosexually) is
incomplete, and, based on serological data, the actual cumulative total
AIDS cases in these countries was over 200,000 by Jan. 1, 1989.

   Dr. Erica Williams, secretary general of the Society for Women and AIDS
in Africa, says certain measures have been taken in Nigeria, for example,
to discourage "prostitutes" from meeting anyone known to have the AIDS
virus.

   "We tell the prostitutes if we know that some men have AIDS not to
accept them. This may sound like an unorthodox way of doing things but it
is working out," she told the four-day conference here.

   Williams says her organization has adopted these measures to prevent
the disease from spreading, and also because men do not cooperate with the
counselling teams to use condoms.  According to Williams, Nigeria --
Africa's most populous nation with over 100 million people -- officially
has only a small number of AIDS cases.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)
--
unitex - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!unitex

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange