[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/5> DOD: NEWS BRIEFING THUR. AUG 10, 1989

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/14/89)

DOD: NEWS BRIEFING THUR. AUG 10, 1989

     Good afternoon.  Let me begin with a couple of announcements.  First of
all, you are invited to attend an honors ceremony for outgoing Secretary of th
Army, John O. Marsh, tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. at the Pentagon's River
Entrance Parade Field.  Secretary Cheney will be the host, and there will be a
press advisory for you on this event.

     Next week, Secretary Cheney plans to be on vacation in Wyoming.  This wil
be private time.  He'll be enjoying the pleasures of time at home.  The Deputy
Secretary of Defense Don Atwood will be the acting secretary during the time
Mr. Cheney is on vacation.  The Secretary will have communication facilities
available to him at all times, and he can return to Washington on short notice
should that be necessary.

     Let me bring you up-to-date now on what the Department of Defense is doin
in the search for Congressman Leland.  We'll remind you of what we've already
sent, bring you up-to-date on what's on the way and then tell you where it
stands right now.  This review is something we've already talked about but jus
want to get this all out on the record now so it's in one place.

     We've already sent a C-141 from Germany, on board is a 35 person medical
team, three UHF tactical communications support people, one weather forecaster
and two search and rescue planners.

     We've sent two HC-130 search and rescue aircraft.  Now, I've seen some
reporting that these are transport vehicles.  These particular ones are con-
figured to be search and rescue aircraft.  These two HC-130s came from the
United Kingdom, each with a pararescue team.  And at least one HC-130 SAR
mission has been completed.

      We've sent another C-141 with with spare parts and support equipment for
the HC-130s.  A U-2 aircraft has been sent to take reconnaissance pictures of
the search; this flight has already taken place and we hope to fly another U-2
mission tomorrow morning.  A C-21 has also been sent to take the film from the
U-2 to a processing facility -- I'm told the pictures aren't ready yet.

     And we've sent a C-5 with four MH-60 helicopters, crews, and support
personnel, plus a C-141 with support equipment.  The left Eglin AFB, FL., earl
this morning and are due in Ethiopia early tomorrow afternoon Eastern time.  A
you are probably know, we provided a C-21 from Andrews AFB, last night, to
Eglin AFB last night to let Congressman Gary Ackerman and Congressman Alan
Wheat, as well as House Seargant-at-Arms Jack Russ, to board the C-5 to go on
to Ethiopia.  They did board the C-5 and are on their way.

     Now our forces did actively take part today in the search.  Right now the
crews are resting and they will rejoin the search at about 10:00 p.m. Eastern
time tonight.  There's seven hours time difference between Eastern time and
Ethiopian local time.  So they will start up their search at 5:00 a.m tomorrow
morning in Ethiopia.  That's 10:00 Eastern time tonight.

     And that's where we stand. Are there any questions on that before we move
on?

Q:  From the estimates you have of the primary search area, can you give
an idea of how long it would take for real thorough look at that whole grid?

A:  From the search and rescue aircraft themselves?  They did some search
on the way in, but I don't know the exact amount.  I don't know precisely how
big the grid is.  I don't kow that we have an answer to that question for you.

Q:  Where is their base of operations?

A:  They're all based out of Addis Ababa.

Q:  Out of Bole field?

A:  I don't know.  Let's find out what precise air field they're located
in.  We'll find out for you.

Q:  Could you tell me just a little visual idea of what it is.  Is it a
tent city or is it temporary quarters or did they put up...

A:  I'll try to get you a better description of where they're located.

Q:  Do you have any update on the report there was a satellite pick up of
a radio transmission possibly from a locator beacon?

A:  It's a very preliminary report.  My understanding is that a weather
satellite picked up a signal like that which was on the airplane, somewhere
south of Addis Ababa.  It's night time there now.  There is not an authoritati
source, I'm just telling you this for your information, it would certainly nee

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)
--
unitex - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!unitex

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange