[misc.headlines.unitex] <5/5> DOD: NEWS BRIEFING THUR. AUG 10, 1989

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/14/89)

A:  I don't believe so.  As I said, the exercise came off without inciden

Q:  Is part of the effort to exercise there an effort essentially to keep
that group in it's cage?

A:  No, not that I'm aware of.  Look at where the causeway is -- here's t
Canal, there's the causeway.  It's an important vantage point.  It was tradi-
tionally under U.S. control.  I'm not aware of any motive like that.

Q:  Do you have any information about a nomination for a new Chairman of
the Joint Chiefs.

A:  That's the President's decision and the White House announces those
sorts of things.

Q:  Do you have any information as to whether there will be an announceme
today?

A:  I believe the White House during its briefing said that there would b
some kind of Rose Garden ceremony this afternoon, and I believe Marlin's words
were that a four star general may be in attendance.

Q:  Will Secretary Cheney be there?

A:  I don't know.  I don't know if its on his schedule.  I'll look, no I
don't see a specific ceremony there.  He's going over to the White House this
afternoon for a meeting.

Q:  Can you comment generally on the apparent selection of Colin Powell?

A:  First of all,  you all understand, you are highly amused by the situa
that I'm in but...(Laughter) I can't confirm or deny it.  As for the general
subject of General Colin Powell, which I'm pleased to discuss at any time.
Secretary Cheney first met General Powell when the general was a Commander in
Germay.  He was Commanding General of 5th Corps of the U.S. Army in Europe.  H
worked with General Powell when General Powell was at the National Security
Council and during that time Secretary Cheney was on the Iran-Contra Committee
and also on the House Intelligence Committee and got to know General Powell we
during those encounters.  They worked especially hard on such issues as fundin
for the Contras.  So they've had a number of dealings during his time in the
Administration.  Secretary Cheney's always had a very high opinion of General
Powell.  And I would repeat again, that that's in answer to the general questi
what does the Secretary think of General Powell, which I would answer at any
time.

Q:  Story in the New York Times about a lesbian struggling to stay in the
Army, a Miriam Ben-Shalom.  Do you have anything on that at all?

A:  No, that's the first I've seen of the article.  I have to apologize I
haven't read it, I don't know anything about it so I suggest you talk to your
friends in the Army.

     Before we close, The Panama Defense Forces have a gate as a barrier at th
beginning of the causeway.  General Noreiga has a house or a bunker on the
other side of Naos Island.  And the Defense Force has its anti-terrorist unit
stationed at Flameco Island, which is the facility that Stewart Powell was
asking about in his question.  The causeway and the roadway on it, as well as
the two Panama Canal Commission facilities at the end of the causeway which
we've talked about before-- the boat launch facility on Naos Island and the
signal station on Flameco Island are parts of the Canal operating areas.

     The remainder of those two Islands as well as well as adjacent Perico
and Culebra/Scout Islands reverted to Panama October 1, 1979, with implementa-
tion of the Panama Canal Treaty.

Q:  Was Noreiga home?

A:  I have no idea where General Noreiga was.

Q:  Just in case, it won't be on the tape, just how close did the exercis
come to Noreiga's house and the Defense Forces?

A:  Again, that's sort of operational detail that you're going to have
to talk to SOUTHCOM about.

Q:  Were reporters allowed to view any of these exercises?

A:  Yes.  My understanding is that you're colleagues were along, just
about every part of the exercise.  It went clear to the end of the route and
came back and saw the whole thing.

Q:  In light of that would it be fair to say this exercise might be an
answer to the earlier question as to the Secretary's opinion of the use of
military force in the manner that the President discussed?

A:  No, it would not.  It would be totally unrelated to that question.
No way an answer to it.  Any more than any other exercise that we've been
doing in Panama had any relation to it, which is none.

     Press:  Thank you.
     Mr. Williams:  Thank you.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)
--
unitex - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!unitex

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange