[fa.info-vax] dhu11s

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/22/85)

From: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

>From: ANDERER <anderer%udel-cc-vax1.delaware@udel-louie.ARPA>
>To: info-vax@sri-kl.ARPA
>Subject: DHU-11s
>
>We're looking to replace our 40 DZ-11 remote lines with something a little
>more efficient (..on a 780 running VMS).  DHU-11s seem to fit the bill.  But
>before spending the money, is there anything we should know about them that
>our salesman might not volunteer?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I don't know anything about DHU-11 performance, but they cost about $3.5k
for 16 lines, so that comes to $10.5K (for 48 lines) less what you
would get for your DZs (not much). Plus installation and maintenance.

Have you considered moving your DZs to a LAT-11?
The throughput and the load on the host Vax of a LAT-11
is comparable to the same number of DMF-32 lines. Of course, the
added functionality causes a load increase due to more processes being
active per terminal.

It would probably be a bit more expensive, but would offload your 780
and would make adding more Vaxes much easier - you wouldn't have to
get dedicated terminal lines (or terminals) with the new system(s).

You'd have to get an 11/34 with 256kb (unless you already
have a Unibus based PDP-11 that you can dedicate to it),
1 or 2 DEUNAs (one for the 780 if it doesn't already have one
and one for the 11), a DELNI, and LAT-11 software.
That comes to about $12-15k altogether (used prices); maybe $1k
less if you used Ethernet cabling and transcievers instead of the DELNI.
If you don't have or want full function VMS DECnet (to down-line-load the
terminal server: about another $3K), the 11/34 would also have to have a load
device -- RX02 or TU58s at about $1k. Plus installation and maintenance.

Whatever you decide, be sure to go out for bids: all of the mentioned DEC
products are available from multiple distributors whose prices
fluctuate in all directions (but usually downward) from day to day.

Selden Ball

Cornell University, LNS        NYNEX: (607) 256-4882
Wilson Synchrotron Lab        BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Dryden Road                     ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Ithaca, NY  14853