[fa.info-vax] Toolpack/1 availability

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/22/85)

From: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

>Subject:  Re:  Toolpack/1
>

>Selden, is this Toolchest available over ARPA via anon FTP?
>
>                                              Joe Leonard
>                                          <jmleonar@crdc.arpa>

Not so far as I know. Toolpack/1 half fills a 1600bpi tape: 99 files
totaling about 15 Megabytes of source code.

We got it from

Toolpack/1 Distribution Service
Numerical Algorithms Group, Inc.
1101 31st Street, Suite 100
Downers Grove, IL  60515-1263

It's also available from

Toolpack/1 Distribution Service
Numerical Algorithms Group, Ltd.
NAG Central Office
Mayfield House
256, Banbury Road
Oxford OX2 7DE
United Kingdom

The distribution tape costs $100, and additional manuals are $7 each.
(I don't know the UK cost.)
They have a special order form for it, and want cash in advance.
(Not at all surprising at that price.)
There is a choice of four tape formats: ASCII card image, EBCDIC card
image, ANSI standard, or Unix(tm) tar. You should probably contact
them before ordering it. I don't have their phone number handy.

One problem is that NAG only accepts feedback by mail: no telephone support.
I'm not at all surprised at NAG's position, but it would be nice if one of
the developing institutions were to support a network mailing list
similar to INFO-VAX.
Said institutions include Argonne National Laboratory (Mathematics
Division), Bell Communications Research (Murray Hill),
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, University of Arizona and Purdue University.
(Hint, hint.)

Selden Ball

Cornell University, LNS        NYNEX: (607) 256-4882
Wilson Synchrotron Lab        BITNET: SYSTEM@CRNLNS
Dryden Road                     ARPA: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Ithaca, NY  14853