[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/2> DOD: New Briefing

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/23/89)

DOD: New Briefing

DoD News Briefing by

Mr. Fred S. Hoffman, PDASD/PA

Thursday, August 17, 1989 - noon

     I do not have any announcements.  I am open to questions.

     Q:  Can you talk to us about the Trident missile and what happened?

A:  Let me just say two things.  I am not qualified to discuss the tech-
nical aspects of that test.  I am going to refer you to the Navy.  Hopefully,
they can clarify the situation for you.  I do have a memorandum for correspon-
dents which is prepared by the Navy which will be avilable to you if you
don't already have it and which engages a certain amount of the technical
details.  But there are questions I know you are going to ask and I am just
not in a position to answer them.  I know they grow out of an article in the
New York Times.

     Q:  Since they were willing to provide someone for the New York Times,
is there some reason they're not willing to provide someone to talk to the
rest of us?

A:  I'm going to refer you to the Navy on all but this one piece of
paper I have for you, which they prepared.

    The following is text of memorandum for correspondents referred to above:

    "The third submarine launch of a Trident II (D-5) research and development
missile was conducted from USS Tennessee (SSBN-734) at the Eastern Space and
Missile Center during the afternoon of August 15, 1989.

    "Missile launch, underwater travel and first stage motor ignition were
normal.  The missile self-destructed approximately four seconds into powered
flight.

    "Preliminary evaluation of telemetry data indicates that at the time of
motor ignition, water jets caused large loads in the mechanical actuator train
which controls the first stage motor nozzle.  Initial indications are that
electrical cables in the first stage motor were subsequently severed, leading
to initiation of self-destruct.

    "The cause of this failure - large water pressure loads caused by severe
water jet conditions interacting with the ignition event - is similar to that
for which the nozzle and actuator train were modified after the first submarin
lsunch in March 1989 and successfully flight tested on the second submarine
launch in August 1989.

    "USS Tennessee, as previously planned, will enter a Post Shakedown
Availability (PSA) at Electric Boat, Groton, Ct.  During the approximate two
month duration of this availability, evaluation and corrective action for this
flight failure will be conducted.  Further corrective actions will be derived
from work that has been ongoing since the March failure.

    "No impact is presently foreseen to the planned initial strategic deployme
of USS Tennessee in early 1990."

     Q:  Does it say anything the deployment schedule...that's not very
technical?

A:  The last line on this memorandum says that no impact is presently
foreseen on the planned initial strategic deployment of the USS TENNESSEE,
the Trident submarine involved in this test, in early l990.  But for elabora-
tion on that, again, I have to refer you to the Navy.

     Q:  The B-2 flights are all going to be flying secretly or not open to
the press, is that right?

A:  I have no idea.  Our efforts so far have been to make those test
flights open to the press.

     Q:  In the last memorandum though, Fred, it said this is going to be the
last test flight the media will be permitted?

A:  Really, you have information that's more current than mine in that
regard.

     Q:  Anything happening in Panama?

A:  Yes.  About 9:00 a.m. today, the forces down there began a joint
service readiness exercise.  It was designed to test the Southern Command's
ability to respond swiftly and decisively in defense of the Panama Canal and
for the protection of U.S. lives and property.  I refer you to the Southern
Command for update information as this day goes on, but there is such an
exercise that began at 9:00 a.m.  this morning.

     Q:  Is that similiar to what they did the other day, dropping paratrooper
into the embassy compound?

A:  No, I think its more extensive than that.

     Q:  Has there been any response from the Panamanians to that?

A:  So far I'm aware of no response.

     Q:  Did this go through the (inaudible) in other words, did they get
permission or notifiy...

A:  PDF officials, Panama Defense Force officials, were notified and
there was coordination, which is required under the Panamal Canal Treaty.

     Q:  How many people were involved?

A:  I have to refer you to the Command on that, but fairly extensive, I
believe.

     Q:  Did the reporters watch this one as well?

A:  I'm sure they did.

     Q:  I'd like to ask a Trident question of a non-technical nature.  Is
there anyway you can characterize the Navy's overall impressions of the test
yesterday.  Is there anything you can tell us about -- just give us some

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-