[misc.headlines.unitex] Voyager Prepares To Exit Solar System

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (08/28/89)

--> PORTED TO UNITEX BY: ABC World News Tonight

Friday    August 25, 1989

Morton Dean                  New York, NY                  1:55  (10%)
As Voyager flies out of the solar system, most of its job is finished.  For
another 30 years, until its nuclear fuel is gone, Voyager is expected to
continue sending scientific data.  As Voyager passes from our solar system to
interstellar space, scientific instruments may record for the first time the
boundary of our solar system.  Programers say Voyager will next approach a
celestial body in 40,000 years, when it passes the star Ross 248 at a distance
of 6 trillion miles.  Voyager is prepared to introduce Earth to any living
being encountered during its wandering.  Onboard are all kinds of sounds and
pictures from Earth, including greetings.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-