[misc.headlines.unitex] Article Titles

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/02/89)

 --> Reply to Eric Majani from UNITEX on Descriptive Message Headers

 EM> From: rutgers!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!exm (Eric Majani)
 EM> To:   rubbs.fidonet.org!unitex
 EM> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 89 14:00:55 PDT

 EM> TO: Dr James Waldron

 EM> I am very satisfied with the article formats, and with Unitex in general.

 EM> I have just one small comment: the titles of the articles (anouncing
 EM> what they are about) often do not tell much about what's in them,
 EM> especially many of the UN articles. For example, we will get
 EM> something like: Part 1/4 of UN Committee meeting on S
 EM> and we actually have to read it to know it's about South Africa.
 EM> The volume has become so big, that it would save time to have 1 or 2
 EM> keywords such as: S. Africa- UN Meeting, or even just S. Africa,
 EM> so that we would immediately know which country is being talked about.

 Sorry to hear this is happening.  We do put as much descriptive
 headlines in the subject header as possible. On the message you mentioned,
 we did, in fact, title it: "<1/4> UN Committe on S. Africa", but what appears
 to be happening is certain mailers and processors 'cut' or 'chop' the
 subject header down to a certain size.  Sine a lot of the material we
 generateoriginates on a microcomputer distributed network and gatewayed to
 UseNet via uucp/UFGATE interface, various software package downstream from
 UNITEX headquarters may 'size' down the subject header.

 UNITEX starts by using a 55 - 60 character subject header.  Evidently
 other processors beyond our control are 'trimming' our subject
 headers.

 We now try to categorize the subject in as few words as possible....
 That's not always an easy task...especially the way we receive the
 'raw' material from the UN itself.

 EM> Now maybe that's how you get the articles, and it would be too
 EM> much work to make these changes, which I do understand.
 EM> I just thought I'd mention it , just in case ...
 EM> Thanks.

 Thanks for bringing this up.  Again we start with a long 55 -60
 character subject and then ......??!!  We will keep trying
 to get the 'most' in the 'least' amount of space.

 I wish everyone would set 'industry' standards.  There are a
 *lot* of echomail and conference mail message managers around and
 the obviously are not all doing the same thing.

 EM> Eric Majani

 Thanks again for your interest in UNITEX...

 Dr. James Waldron
 Director, UNITEX

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species  (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-