[misc.headlines.unitex] 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF OUTBREAK OF SECOND WORLD WAR

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/03/89)

50TH ANNIVERSARY OF OUTBREAK OF SECOND WORLD WAR
     SECRETARY-GENERAL URGES RENEWED EFFORTS TO MAINTAIN PEACE AND SECURITY

     The following statement is attributable to the Secretary-General:

     As we observe today the fiftieth anniversary of the outbreak of the
Second World War, we cannot but recall with profound sorrow the appalling
ruination that wracked the globe at the time.  Out of the devastation of that
experience, the nations of the world joined together to create this
Organization, so as to give a secure foundation for peace.  For almost half a
century now, there has been no world war.  However, regional conflicts have
exacted a heavy toll, and the world is, in addition, confronted with an
entirely new generation of problems.  At such a time, it is well to reflect on
the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations and to
resolve once again to  unite our strength to maintain international peace and
security, to practice tolerance and to live together with one another as good
neighbours.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-