[misc.headlines.unitex] SUDAN REFUGEES CLING TO SQUALID CAMPS

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/03/89)

SUDAN REFUGEES CLING TO SQUALID CAMPS

(Reuter Library Report, August 30, 298 words, DATELINE: KHARTOUM)

   Sudanese police have pulled down and set ablaze scores of shacks in the
past three days at the Zagalona refugee camp across the Nile from
Khartoum.

   But refugees show no signs of obeying government orders to clear some
of the 40-odd camps around the capital, foreign relief sources said on
Wednesday.

   A million people have been driven to the Khartoum area by civil war and
famine 1,000 miles (1,500 km) away in southern Sudan.

   "The refugees rebuild their shacks after each police raid," said a
southern activist who lives in the Zagalona camp.

   "We shall not leave," a southernrefugee told Reuters. "If they resort
to force we are prepared to die."

   Hundreds of displaced southerners, including many children, roam the
capital in search of work and spend their nights on the streets.

   According to diplomatic sources, Western donors, have repeatedly
offered funds to improve the squalid camps around Khartoum and Omdurman,
its twin city across the river.

   They said authorities have consistently turned down the offer, asking
that the money be used instead to settle refugees in farming areas away
from the capital.

   According to the armed forces newspaper, Khartoum's governor, Brigadier
Mohammed Osman Mohammed Said, has a plan which calls for the destruction
of some camps and movement of their refugees to new sites to await return
to the south.

   Foreign aid workers are concerned about the proposal, but have not been
able to get details from the military junta which seized power two months
ago.

   "Every time we raise the issue with government officials, we are told
that the plan is not as Draconian as it may seem," the head of a major
international aid agency told Reuters.

   The authorities have cut off water supplies to at least one Khartoum
camp, relief sources said.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-