[misc.headlines.unitex] <2/4> DOD NEWS BRIEFING BY ASD/PA PETE WILLIAMS

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/12/89)

     only after a thorough process of running it through all the
     channels to make sure we could disclose that.  We will see what
     further information that we can get for you.

     Q:  Do you have anything more on the schedule of the sending of
     personnel

     A:  No, there's really nothing more on that.  The schedule of
     personnel is dependent on the schedule of the shipment of the
     equipment and that's what is not final yet.  The schedule has
     not been worked out.  The list of equipmen has been worked out.

     Q:  Is it still 50-100?

     A:  Yes, the number of personnel hasn't changed and let me just
     review th because some of you were off elsewhere.  So I will
     review the reason we say 50 100, that's the total number of U.S.
     personnel that we would expect to dedicat this emergency aid
     mission.  It's very unlikely, highly unlikely that they wou all
     be there at the same time.  The most likely scenario is that they
     will rot them in and out.  Some of that 50-100 won't even stay
     in country.  They'll sim arrive with an airplane, help unload
     it, get back on and the airplane takes of So it's a matter of
     rotation through the country.  The total size of the numbe of
     personnel we would dedicate there would be between 50-100.

     Q:  Are they technical people?  Are they trainors?  What kind?

     A:  They are largely technical and trainors.  As the Colombian
     gover- ment requests, we will provide training on some of the
     equipment that we send down there which they may not have in
     their inventory now and which they may not be familiar.  The
     number of people we dedicate will be based on their request.

     Q:   You say largely, what does that mean?  Does that mean that
     there might be some tactical advisors among them?

     A:   The possibility remains that we may provide some training
     in tactics.

     Q:  How about the comment that I saw over the week-end from
     Sununu that the U.S. could provide military personnel to fight
     if requested?

     A:  Well, that's always been the position; it's nothing new.

     Q:  Not received too well here in the Pentagon?

     A:  Well, it's the Administration policy.  The Secretary repeated
     that over the week-end; he was interviewed on ABC This Week With
     David Brinkley. I'll get you the transcript of that.  I don't
     remember his precise words. There is no change there.  That
     struck me as a Labor Day weekend endeavor.

     Q:  Can you tell us what kind of ordnance are going to go on
     those A-37s?

     A:  I don't know the answer to that question.  We'll take the
     question.  If we can get you an answer, we'll provide it for
     you.  I know that was asked Friday.

     Q:  Do you have anything on the capability of that aircraft?

     A:  Sure, we can give you a fact sheet on the capabilities of
     OA-37. It's a twin-engine attack jet.  It is an observation
     aircraft.  The reason we sent it there was that it has good high
     altitude capabilities.  It can loit over an area and it performs
     well over mountains --  it is a good high altitud aircraft.

     Q:  Pete, you say that was Administration policy all along --
     the possibility.  But I believe you said last week that these
     people would not accompany Colombian police and military on any
     anti-drug missions.  Which is correct?

     A:   They haven't been requested and I don't want to get into
     speculative matters.  But the people that have been requested,
     that are going down -- the 50 to 100 -- are there for training
     and they will not accompany the Colombians on any other
     counter-narcotics missions.

     Q:  But you're leaving open the possibility...

     A:  I'm not going to speculate beyond what I just said.

     Q:  Do you have any information about some Hawkeye aircraft being
     shipped to the region?

     A:  No.

     Q:  Are they assisting the C-l30 aircraft?

     A:  I've not heard anything about that.

     Q:  Previous Secretaries have not been pleased about the idea of
     getting combat troops into drug operations, Secretary Weinberger
     among them.  Is Secretary Cheney more open minded toward that
     sort of thing?

     A:  Secretary Cheney is very capable and eloquent of speaking to
     the issu himself and I'd refer you to the transcript of what he
     said on Brinkley this Sunday.  I don't want to further
     characterize what he said or parse it or anal it.

     Q:  The A-37 is one of the trainors used to train...

     A:  This is a slightly different version of it.  It is called an
     OA-37.

     Q:  Wasn't there a shortage of those, the Air Force complaining
     about not having enough?

     A:  I don't know.

     Q:  Are we shorting anything that we need in this country?

     A:  No, no.  Our statement, our position all along on this effort
     has bee to provide the Colombians -- that's what has been going
     on this whole week.

     Q:  It is considered surplus?

     A:  We are providing things from DoD stocks that will not in any
     way affect the readiness of U.S. forces.

     Q:  I believe there are only 10 in the Air Force inventory?

     A:  I have no idea how many are in the Air Force inventory.
     These were Air National Guard OA-37s, they came from the Air
     National Guard.

     Q:  Is all the big stuff down now, the helicopters, the A-37s?
     Are there things like APCs?

     A:  The 130s, A-37s and UH-1s are certainly big.  Trucks are big,
     too. But whether that's all the helicopters or not, I don't
     know.  We will answer your question about helicopters and I'm so
     glad that Colonel Monteverde is back here. (laughter)

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-