[misc.headlines.unitex] <4/4> DOD NEWS BRIEFING BY ASD/PA PETE WILLIAMS

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/12/89)

     change as they go from day to day and they make decisions on how
     to do it.  Nothing was really gelled until it was on a plane or
     on its way in the air to get there.  So I wouldn't read much
     into this.  It was a decision that was made upstairs, and I don't
     know precisely what the background was.

     Q:  But can we assume that the FMS aircraft in the pipeline will
     still go

     A:  Yes, I think you can.  I see nothing to indicate it won't.

     Q:  These five will be in addition to those?

     A:  These five are a separate program.  That's correct.  I should
     amplify on that.  The five helicopters that arrive today on the
     C-5 are part of the President's emergency aid package, which is
     an enterprise unrelated to and totally separated from Foreign
     Military Sales.

     Q:  Did you say you could not provide us with that list?

     A:  That's my understanding.  I know I can't right now, the list
     is class Now, how it becomes declassified or what bits of it can
     be declassified, I don't know the answer to that yet.  We'll
     make our best effort to provide you with as much as we can.

     Q:  Can you say why it's classified?

     A:  I don't know why.

     Q:  Can you just clarify for me the five helicopters that went
     down today were intended to be part of the FMS and were switched
     over?

     A:  No, no, no.  I'm really guessing here.  We came together with
     you wha Friday afternoon at three?  And at that point, I think
     that was the general plan, but it was subsequently decided to
     make them part of the aid package. Now why, I don't know.  It
     was back and forth all the time.

     Q:  Originally they were going to be sent as FMS?

     A:  Well, no.  Originally, when is originally?  At three O'clock
     Friday afternoon they were but whether at one o'clock Friday
     afternoon they were part of the aid package, I don't know.  I
     mean I can't tell you when it flipped and when it flopped and
     when it flipped again.  I'm not sure but I think that would be
     relativly unfertile ground to plow.

     Q:  Can you provide us with value of these items that have
     already gone?

     A:  I can't.  Needless to say, we have a $65 million ceiling on
     this package.  The Department is keeping track of them.  There
     is a procedure established so that the right people, with the
     right clipboards, are noting al this down and adding it up but I
     can't.  As I said the other day, there's no meter running in my
     office.

     Q:  You have said the Colombian government is responsible for
     the protection of these U.S. military people who are going down,
     can you give us any more details on that?

     A:  In what sense, Charlie?

     Q:  I mean, are they going to surround them with people armed
     with Uzis or what?

     A:  I don't know.  I don't know how the Colombian government
     intends to do that.  Our service members who are sent to
     Colombia will carry their normal side arms and the normal rules
     of engagement will apply.  The Colombian government has the
     responsibility for providing security for U.S. personnel.  As we
     said the other day, we don't anticipate our personnel being put
     in any situations where they would face unusual risks to their
     well-being.

     Q:  Do you know if they're just going to stay in Bogota and
     military sites or other places like Medellin airport?

     A:  I don't know.

     Q:  Can I come back to the value question, can you at least give
     us a ballpark -- do the aircraft that have been sent represent
     half the package?

     A:  Oh, I doubt that.  We'll try to get you a ballpark figure.
     That's a good question -- what's the approximate value of what we
     have sent so far; how are we doing on the barometer?

     Q:  Under this emergency aid package, will any training actually
     take place within the continental United States or Panama...

     A:  It's possible.

     Q:  And if so, where would that be and when?

     A:  The when, I can't speculate on.  Where, the Secretary has
     said possibly Ft. Rucker in the case of helicopters.  He's
     already said that publicly.  You know it's the place where you
     would expect it to take place depending on what the equipment
     is.  I mean, they'll go wherever the experts are, wherever the
     best training facilities are.  But I don't believe that schedule
     is complete yet, so I can't provide you much more detail on
     that.

     Q:  Can you give us any guidance as to whether the President's
     speech tonight has a larger role for the military involved in it
     or whether you'll be available for questions or...

     A:  You have asked me to commit the cardinal government spokesman
     sin and though I am tempted, the temptation is strong, I shall
     decline the opportunity.

     Q:  Will you be available for questions after the briefing or...

     A:  Well, we're always available for your questions, day and
     night, we never close. (Laughter)

     Q:  One more on the D-5 (Trident) investigation, what's the
     status on tha

     A:  I've seen nothing new.  They're still looking at the design
     and making their decisions.  I think they have said that it will
     be difficult to keep the initial operating capability date, but
     I don't believe anything's changed on that.

     Q:  They have not officially said whether they're sticking to it
     or not?

     A:  I'm trying to remember what they said, last time.  I think
     they said they weren't sure whether they could meet the IOC
     date, but check with the Navy they'll have more up to date words
     on that for you.

     Press:  Thank you.

     Mr. Williams:  Thank you.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-