[misc.headlines.unitex] <2/2> STATEMENT BY SECRETARY-GENERAL ON PALESTINE QUESTION

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/12/89)

     and all possible efforts must be undertaken to bring parties to
     the negotiating table to achieve it.

     The General Assembly, in resolution 43/176, called for the
     convening of the International Peace Conference on the Middle
     East under the auspices of the United Nations, with the
     participation of all parties to the conflict, including the
     Palestine Liberation Organization, on an equal footing, and the
     five permanent members of the Security Council, based on Security
     Council resolutions 242 (1967) and 338 (1973) and the legitimate
     national rights of the Palestinian people, primarily the right
     to self-determination.  The General Assembly requested the
     Security Council to consider measures needed to convene the
     International Peace Conference, including the establishment of a
     preparatory committee.  It also requested the Secretary-General
     to continue his efforts with the parties concerned and, in
     consultation with the Security Council, to facilitate the
     convening of the Conference.

     In recent years, we have witnessed an improvement in the
     international political climate which has resulted in tangible
     progress towards the settlement of several regional conflicts.
     The protracted and explosive nature of the Arab-Israeli conflict
     makes it all the more urgent for us to concentrate our efforts
     in this area.  The Secretary-General has drawn attention to the
     dangers inherent in a lack of progress towards a comprehensive
     settlement.  He has intensified his own efforts for the
     convening of an international peace conference on the Middle East
     with the participation of all the parties concerned, including
     Palestine.  He will continue this task in accordance with the
     mandate entrusted to him by the Security Council and the General
     Assembly.

     I would like to avail myself of this opportunity to express
     appreciation, on behalf of the Secretary-General, to all the
     non-governmental organizations who have come to Vienna from all
     parts of the world to strengthen internationa and national
     efforts aimed at reaching a just settlement of the question of
     Palestine.  Your presence here in such a large number testifies
     to your resolve to consolidate your bonds with the United
     Nations in the pursuit of a comprehensive and lasting peace in
     the Middle East.

     I would also like to express our appreciation to the members of
     non-governmental organizations from the occupied territories and
     from Israel, who represent differing points of view but have
     joined in an international endeavour to uphold just causes.

     The Secretary-General continues to believe that an enlightened
     and mobilized public opinion, through the invaluable activities
     of non- governmental organizations, can play a very important
     role in helping to bring about a peaceful solution to this
     long-standing conflict.  In this connection, the Division for
     Palestinian Rights, under the guidance of the Committee on the
     Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People,
     will continue and expand its co-operation with the world-wide
     community of non-governmental organizations in order to promote
     our common objectives.

     In conclusion, I would like to take this opportunity to express
     the Secretary-General's appreciation of the work of the
     Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the
     Palestinian People, which has carried out its mandate with
     dedication under the wise and able leadership of its
     distinguished Chairman, Absa Claude Diallo of Senegal, and its
     Bureau.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-