[misc.headlines.unitex] inquiry re: unitex posting

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/16/89)

Fido-From : James Waldron
Fido-To   : Bob Elliot Of 107/565

 BE> Dr. Waldron,
 BE>
 BE> Is anyone welcome to post news items in this Echo?  The reason I ask
 BE> this is that I work with a group called the North American EDIFACT
 BE> Board which is the North American (U.S. and Canada) part of a United
 BE> Nations effort to establish a world wide EDI (Electronic Data
 BE> Interchange) Message Standard.  The effort is based through the United
 BE> Nations ECE/WP.4/GE1, and we would like to be able to use this area as
 BE> one further means of distributing information.

  Yes, by all means, please *do* post items of this nature directly
  here in UNITEX.  WE welcome news items, especially of this nature.
  UNITEX now reaches several thousand computer sites, some of which are
  located near United Nations centers in Geneva, Vienna, Paris, Canada, etc.
  It is very important to distribute the kind of work your group is doing
  to as many end-users and computer groups as possible.  This is the basis
  for a truly international forum.

 BE> Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) is the computer to computer transfer
 BE> of business information in processable, standard message formats.  It
 BE> is hoped that this will eventually replace paper as a means of business
 BE> communication, and it already has in many areas of business.  The
 BE> messages that are under development include Purchace Orders, Invoives,
 BE> Bills of Lading, and Remittance Advice to name a few.  The acronym,
 BE> EDIFACT, stands for Electronic Data Interchange For Administration
 BE> Commerce and Transport.
 BE>
 BE> Please let me know if I may post more information on this U.N. effort
 BE> here, and I will make arrangements to get it in here.

   Certainly.  Thanks for making inquiry and definitely post
   information on this topic (EDI and EDIFACT) which is a very
   important issue.   Thanks again for your efforts.

   Dr. James Waldron

   Director, UNITEX

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species  (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | UNITEX : United Nations
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    |          Information
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       |          Transfer Exchange
  -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-