[fa.info-vax] NonInteractive terminal lines

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/28/85)

From: "Brand Hal"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

   Does anyone know how to set a terminal line so that you can't log in.
More precisely, how does one set a VMS terminal (i.e. TTA5 or TXA3) so
that it never presents the "USERNAME" prompt, and so never allows logins?
I tried SET TERM TXA3/PERM/NOINTERACTIVE and I could still login over
TXA3.   However, there were some differences: 1) The echoing of input to
the USERNAME prompt was not upcased, and 2) Output sent to the terminal
was line terminated by CR CR LF instead of (in INTERACTIVE mode) just CR LF.
I have loaded the virtual terminal driver, and so tried setting the terminal
SET TERM TXA3/PERM/NODISCONNECT and SET TERM TXA3/PERM/DISCONNECT.   Neither
setting had any effect upon locking out logins.   Any ideas?
					Hal Brand
					BRAND#HAL@LLL-MFE.ARPA

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/28/85)

From: msev%phobos@cit-hamlet.arpa

Hal -
	You need to set protection of the device.  An example from our
own startup file. -

$ set protection=(s,o,g,w:rwlp)/device ttb2: ! spinwriter

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/28/85)

From: sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki)

To set a terminal so that a login can't happen, simply do a

	$ set term tt?? /notypeahead/perm

We have communications lines set up this way between our UNIX system
and our VMS system. If you don't do this, then noise will sometimes
cause both sides to try to log each other in (if the UNIX has a getty
running). You can suck up lots of cpu time and terminal line i/o if
this starts.

		Marty Sasaki (sasaki@harvard)

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/28/85)

From: Richard Garland <OC.GARLAND@CU20B.ARPA>

	SET TERMINAL/NOTYPEAHEAD

					Rg
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (06/28/85)

From: dml%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Land)

> From: "Brand Hal"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
>

>    Does anyone know how to set a terminal line so that you can't log in.
> More precisely, how does one set a VMS terminal (i.e. TTA5 or TXA3) so
> that it never presents the "USERNAME" prompt, and so never allows logins?
> I tried SET TERM TXA3/PERM/NOINTERACTIVE and I could still login over
> TXA3.

The NOINTERACTIVE or the PASSALL only has to with data interpretations.

To prevent the USERNAME: prompt and disallow logins on a port use:

$ SET TERM/NOTYPE_AHEAD

This works because the type ahead buffer is not enabled, so the first <CR>
to initiate a login will never be seen because there is not an outstanding
read posted on that port.

Dale Land  <dml@lanl.arpa>

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/02/85)

From: ihnp4!houxm!hou2d!afb3@BERKELEY

The only thing that seems to work is "set term /notypeahead t???:"

Then....  to use the line,

Allocate it, set typeahead, etc.

When done, set it notypeahead.

Of course all the other appropriate settins should be made (like
host flow control, alternate type ahead, etc.)

This appears to be the only way to disable a terminal line under
VMS 4.x (ah for the "set /slave=ttx:" of RSX....).

Al Baldwin
AT&T-Bell Labs
...!ihnp4!hou2d!afb3

[These opinions are my own....Who else would want them!!!]