[fa.info-vax] DMZ-32

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/02/85)

From: <engvax!ymir!4CCVAX..ANDY@cit-vax>

  > Every port can have a speed of up to 19.2 kilobaud,
  > although the maximum throughput over the 4-wire-line is
  > about 72 kilobaud (if I remember correctly).

19.2 kilobaud (1920 characters/sec) x 24 lines x both directions
is 92160 char/sec.
Last September when we bought our first DMZ, I quizzed our salesman
about throughput. He referred to his Sales Update, 30-Jul-1984 p.13
which indicated that the throughput was limited to 40K *characters*
per second (appearantly the aggregate of input and output.)

Thats still a whale of a lot of characters.

  > I suppose that the DMZ-32 is a cheaper offering then the LAT-server.

A bit cheaper. $7,200 list buys 24 ports including modem control.
The DECserver-100 comes in at around $3,000 for 8 ports (counting
ethernet tap cost) and has *NO* modem control (a crucial issue for me).
The DEC terminal servers do have many features and advantages over
the traditional async port. Wouldn't it be nice if DEC would combine
the distribution panel half of the DMZ-32 with a Ethernet-to-T1 box
so we could have the advantages of both (ie 5000 feet between terminals
and Ethernet, AND the obvious advantages of LAT terminal servers.)
DEC are you out there? Are you listening?

Incidently we are running a DMZ-32 through a Linkabit (San Diego, CA)
port selector. The Linkabit intercepts the T1 channel and does switching.
It works just fine.

Andy Davenport
Harvey Mudd College