[misc.headlines.unitex] <2/2> STATEMENT BY SECRETARY-GENERAL ON STAFF DAY

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/19/89)

     Let me now turn to conditions of service which, as we all know,
     have deteriorated to the point where the United Nations is no
     longer fully competitive in attracting personnel of the highest
     calibre.

     It is encouraging that the International Civil Service Commission
     has tackled the comprehensive review of all conditions of
     service with such seriousness and sense of purpose.  I am
     gratified that staff representatives participated in this
     important review.  It is my sincere hope that it will go a long
     way towards rectifying some of the anomalies that have developed
     in this area.  This means, among other things, that the General
     Assembly will now have the opportunity to review the salary
     structure, the post adjustment and the various allowances of
     staff members in the Professional category.

     I am also pleased to report to you that the International Civil
     Service Commission has begun its 1989 salary survey for the
     General Service staff.  This ought to ensure that the legitimate
     needs and interests of all categories of staff will now be
     reviewed.  You have all contributed your utmost to enable the
     Organization to carry out its growing and complex tasks.

     Here, I should like to stress, in particular, my continued
     commitment to increasing the representation of women in the
     Secretariat and to ensuring that there are more women in
     policy-making positions.

     The staff has done its best and is continuing to do so.  For my
     part, I will not fail to make this clear to the General Assembly
     and stress that better conditions of service are essential if
     the Organization is to attract and retain competent staff in the
     future.  I trust that Governments will demonstrate their renewed
     confidence in the United Nations by giving favourable
     consideration to the recommendations of the International Civil
     Service Commission.

     It will also be essential for Member States to make every effort
     to meet their financial obligations.  It is high time that the
     United Nations should be able to leave its financial worries
     behind.  As long as this problem is not addressed and
     effectively resolved, the best efforts of the staff will remain
     at risk.

     During the past year, we have mounted four new peace-keeping
     operations, compared with 13 operations over the previous 40
     years.  Others are in the planning stage.  I have been greatly
     impressed and encouraged by the way in which staff members have
     volunteered for service in overseas missions.  In my travels, I
     have been deeply moved to see United Nations staff from so many
     countries serving together with unfailing devotion under the
     United Nations flag.

     We can be justifiably proud of our accomplishments.  Yet, as we
     look ahead, we must not be complacent.  The United Nations still
     faces vast problems which will require our continued courage,
     creativity and commitment. I am confident that given the
     necessary support we will respond fully to the challenges ahead.

     Thank you again and my best wishes to each of you on this Staff
     Day.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-