[misc.headlines.unitex] Nicaline Special Note

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/20/89)

Nicaline Special Note.............              Sept. 16, 1989

The following letter was recently received by the Berkeley
Committee of Science for Nicaragua which distributes the
Nicaline Bulletin. We are distributing it to the Nicaline
News Network, in the hopes of inspiring the solidarity movement
to bring a final end to contra terrorism. Our computer address
is robert@marvax.berkeley.edu (Internet) or
arisia!marvax.berkeley.edu!robert (Peacenet)

                CONTRA ATTACKS CONTINUE
                                                Sept. 5, 1989

     Since the signing of the Tela Peace Accords last month,
calling for demobilization of Washington's mercenary forces, the
US-supported contra terrorists have stepped up their campaign of
assassinating civilians here in Nicaragua.

     Last week alone the contras killed 4 civilians in two
separate attacks in rural areas where I travel to sample
contaminated drinking water supplies.  On August 26, a group of
about 30 contras attacked a refugee settlement called El Achiote,
located near Rio Blanco.  Three campesinos were killed and two
kidnapped.  The second attack was more brutal.  On August 31,
approximately 30 contras stopped a vehicle traveling near Sarayal
(outside Jinotega) carrying 60 campesinos and singled out Marcos
Castro (civilian, age 40), one of the campesino leaders at the
Abisinia refugee settlement.  The contras took him away, and
mutilated his body badly.  They gouged his eyes out, castrated
him, cut his tongue off and broke his limbs, and then they killed
him.  I just received confirmation regarding the state of his
mutilated body from the examining doctor at the hospital in
Jinotega.

     It is clear that the Bush Administration has no interest in
supporting the Tela Peace Accords, even though the Agreement has
the support of 5 Central American presidents, the United Nations,
the OAS, and leaders of the 21 opposition parties here in
Nicaragua.  The Administration's support of terrorist attacks on
civilians to "pressure" the Sandinista government to become "more
democratic" and hold "fair elections" in February, 1990, is
shameful.

     While many of the estimated 10,000 to 13,000 have started to
turn themselves in under a general amnesty program, we have
received word that about 3,000 contras will infiltrate from
Honduras into Nicaragua to intimidate people so that they are
afraid to vote during the elections next year.  This idea has
recently been supported by observation teams in Honduras.
Apparently the UN and OAS teams sent to observe the
demobilization process have found that many contras have
abandoned their base camps and scattered in the remote mountains
to regroup.

     If true, such an effort requires money and logistical
support.  I believe that this recent wave of violence is the
beginning of a new strategy to disrupt the upcoming elections.
Unless the American people demand an end to these illegal
policies, Peace will never have a chance in Central America.
When the people speak out, maybe our leaders will finally
listen, as they did during the final months of the war in
Vietnam.

[Ms. Ryan is associated with Veterans for Peace and works for a
water purification project in the Sixth Region (Matagalpa/El Cua)]

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-