[misc.headlines.unitex] CHAIRMAN WELCOMES SINGAPORE'S DECISION TO BAN OIL SHIPMENTS

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/24/89)

CHAIRMAN WELCOMES SINGAPORE'S DECISION TO BAN OIL SHIPMENTS

     Posting Date: 09/24/89      Source: UNITEX Network, Hoboken, NJ, USA
     Host: (201) 795-0733          ISSN: 1043-7932

     The following statement was issued today by Tom Vraalsen
     (Norway), Chairman of the Intergovermental Group to Monitor the
     Supply and Shipping of Oil and Petroleum Products to South
     Africa:

     I have been informed that the Government of the Republic of
     Singapore has banned the carriage of oil to South Africa by
     Singapore-flagged ships with effect from 15 September 1989.
     Ships violating this ban are liable to have their registration
     cancelled.  From 1 September 1989, shipping companies owned by
     the Singapore Government will also include "end-user" clauses and
     other conditions in their charter agreements to ensure
     compliance with the embargo.

     An administrative ban on the export of oil and petroleum products
     to South Africa has also come into effect on 15 September 1989.
     With this ban, companies trading in petroleum and petroleum
     products in Singapore will not be permitted to export these
     products to South Africa.

     The Government of Singapore has furthermore expressed its
     willingness to co-operate in international efforts to
     effectively prevent oil trade with South Africa.

     I welcome the measures taken by the Government of Singapore
     which represent an important contribution to the further
     strengthening of the oil embargo against South Africa.  I also
     wish to express my appreciation of Singapore's constructive
     response to the Intergovernmental Group's call for effective
     legislative action to strengthen the oil embargo against South
     Africa.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-