[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/2> DOD NEWS BRIEFING BY FRED S. HOFFMAN, PDASD/PA

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/24/89)

DOD NEWS BRIEFING BY FRED S. HOFFMAN, PDASD/PA

     Posting Date: 09/24/89      Source: UNITEX Network, Hoboken, NJ, USA
     Host: (201) 795-0733          ISSN: 1043-7932

     TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 1989 - Noon

     PDASD/Public Affairs Fred S. Hoffman

     My one offering this afternoon is to call your attention to a
     speech text, to be delivered by the Secretary of the Air Force
     Donald B. Rice to the Air Force Association National Convention
     today.  Copies available.  That's all I have to offer you.

     Q:  What do you have on Puerto Rico?

     A:  Information we have -- which is still far from complete, is
     that there was damage, some of it major, at the Naval Station at
     Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico.  Virtually every structure
     received some damage.  Some of it was severe.  There were no
     significant personnel injuries reported.  There have been
     disruptions of power and communications.

     The Naval airfield at Roosevelt Roads was closed, but is now
     operational for daytime use.  Many of the runway lights were
     damaged, which is why they're not usable for night operations.
     All the major facilities such as the piers and airfield are in
     use, but there is, of course, some reduced effectiveness.

     Beyond that, we are evacuating about 600 of our personnel from
     the Naval Undersea Center at Andros Island in the Bahamas as a
     precaution.  We are pro- viding airlift support to the Office of
     Foreign Disaster Assistance (State Dep carrying relief
     commodities to St. John and Antigua.  Of course we stand ready
     to provide additional assistance as it's required.

     Other information I have here suggests that the Air Force
     Satellite Tracking Station on Antigua suffered very heavy damage
     but no injuries. Roofs, equipment, sewage plant, electrical
     distribution system, etcetera, were badly damaged.

     One other item, a solar observatory at Raimey Air Force Base was
     slightly damaged.  No injuries.  We will update this information
     during the day as more comes in.  That's essentially what we've
     collected up to this point.

     Q:  (Inaudible)

     A:  Not that I'm aware of.  I don't believe that's the case.

     Q:  (Inaudible)

     A:  I've asked about that and I have no indication that there is
     anything like that being provided by our services or this
     department--except in the assistance to St. John and Antigua.

     NOTE:  Due to a technical problem we do not have a complete tape
     of today's br

     Q:  (Inaudible)

     A:  It's related to anti-submarine warfare.

     Q:  You said the building was damaged at the air station.  Did
     they fly o airplanes?

     A:  I do not have anything I can provide you on that yet.  As I
     said, thi is the best information we've been able to collect so
     far.  I expect there to be more details later.

     Q:  The 600 evacuees, are those all military personnel or
     dependents?

     A:  I'm not certain on that score.

     Q:  I think it's a little bit of all.  Yes, there are...

     A:  Anything else?

     Q:  On the MX?

     A:  I do have something on the MX here.  The Air Force is
     conducting tests to identify what happened after the Peacekeeper
     missile reached third stage separation.  Until all tests are

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-