[misc.headlines.unitex] U.S. AIMS TO INCREASE LIFE EXPECTANCY BY THREE YEARS BY 2000

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/24/89)

U.S. AIMS TO INCREASE LIFE EXPECTANCY BY THREE YEARS BY 2000

     Posting Date: 09/24/89      Source: UNITEX Network, Hoboken, NJ, USA
     Host: (201) 795-0733          ISSN: 1043-7932

     (Reuters, September 21, 589 words, DATELINE Atlanta)

     The United States can realistically aim by the year 2000 to
     increase the average American's life expectancy by at least
     three years and cut infant mortality by 30 percent, the U.S.
     Public Health Service said.

     But the service said a quarter of the health goals it set in the
     1970s for 1990 would definitely remain unfulfilled by the
     deadline three months from now.

     The United States has fallen particularly short of its health
     goals for minorities, the health service said.

     In a series of draft recommendations to be formally incorporated
     next year into its health goals for the year 2000, the service
     envisioned raising average U.S. life expectancy to at least 78
     years from the 74.9 years it was in 1987, the last year for
     which figures are available.

     It also said a realistic goal for infant mortality in the year
     2000 was no more than seven deaths per 1,000 live births,
     improving on the rate of 10.5 infant deaths per 1,00 0 in 1986,
     the last year for which these figures are available.

     The new recommendations mark the federal government's second
     attempt to set health goals for the nation. The first set of
     goals established 226 specific objectives for American health to
     be reached by 1990.

     About a fourth of these goals definitely will not be met, and for
     the remaining one-fourth there is too little data to determine
     whether they have or not, said Dr. Michael McGinnis, deputy
     assistant secretary of Health and Human Services.

     "In some areas, we have been remarkably successful," McGinnis
     said.  "For example, we have had very good success in
     controlling cardiovascular disease and from heart attacks and
     strokes. The successes have been unprecedented in modern
     medicine.

     "On the other hand, we are not making progress in reducing
     infant mortality in black populations. We are falling far short
     of the 1990 goals there."

     Not only is black infant mortality not declining, but health
     problems generally remain more severe in minority populations
     than in whites, McGinnis said.  On average, minority group
     members are dying six years younger than whites during 1987. For
     that reason, the new recommendations also include special health
     goals for minority groups.

     "There is a much greater emphasis in the new goals on special
     target populations- Hispanics, blacks, American Indians, Alaskan
     natives," McGinnis said. "We have nearly 60,000 excess deaths
     among the black population annually."

     The 1990 goals had no recommendations concerning AIDS because
     the disease was unknown when the goals were drafted. But federal
     officials hope that by the year 2000 the number of new AIDS
     cases, which has risen dramatically every year, will have begun
     to fall.

     In addition, the federal officials are aiming to reduce the
     prevalence of infection with the AIDS virus among the two groups
     currently most likely to be infected- homosexual men and
     intravenous drug users.

     McGinnis said 20 to 50 percent of homosexual men, depending on
     where they live, currently are infected with the virus.
     Similarly, as many as half of all drug users in some cities are
     infected. Federal officials hope that infection rates in both
     groups can be lowered to 10 percent.

     McGinnis said the goals reflect not only the hopes of public
     health officials but current ability to control disease.

     "Realism was an important criterion of the effort. The groups
     who drafted these goals were specifically charged with being
     realistic in their efforts. These are things we should be able
     to achieve is apply ourselves and our resources in an effective
     way."

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-