[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/2> ADDRESS BY PRES. OF G.A. AT SEMINAR ON CHURCH & RACISM

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/24/89)

ADDRESS BY PRESIDENT OF G.A. AT SEMINAR ON CHURCH AND RACISM

     Posting Date: 09/24/89      Source: UNITEX Network, Hoboken, NJ, USA
     Host: (201) 795-0733          ISSN: 1043-7932

     Following is the text of the address delivered on Thursday, 21
     September, by Joseph N. Garba (Nigeria), President of the
     forty-fourth session of the General Assembly, to the Seminar on
     the Church and Racism:

     I wish to thank you sincerely for the honour you have done me by
     inviting me to share with you some of my thoughts at such an
     important Seminar on Racism.  I have been advised that as
     President of the forty-fourth session of the General Assembly, I
     would be called upon from time to time to address many
     gatherings devoted to examining the human condition and how to
     ameliorate the problem that beset our world.  In doing so for
     the first time, I am particularly happy that it is at this
     Seminar sponsored by the Catholic Church.  I say so, not only
     because I am a practising Catholic, but also because the theme
     of the Seminar, which is:  "The Church and Racism", is of
     crucial importance to expanding the frontiers of human
     understanding and racial harmony, which, in turn, could
     contribute postively to promoting peace and justice in the
     world.

     Partly out of ignorance and fear, and partly for
     self-preservation, the human tendency through the ages has been
     to be wary, if not xenophobic, of other persons and cultures
     outside one's immediate environment.  That could be why racism
     and racial bigotry are as old as humanity.  However, the
     perception and manifestation of racism has been different
     through the ages.  Thus, in the history of some ancient
     civilizations, racism and racial discrimination were practised
     and justified more, in the terms of perceived levels of
     civilization, clearly based on ethno-centrism, and conquest, and,
     to a lesser extent, religious persuasion, than in the colour of
     the skin.  Today, however, due to the history and legacy of the
     despicable slave trade, colonialism and its attendant ills of
     economic exploitation, human degradation, and denial of
     fundamental human rights and human dignity, racism has assumed a
     new dimension.  That dimension is so ominous that unless the
     international community as well as States and individuals
     exercise great understanding, tolerance, sympathy and care, the
     practices of racism and racial discrimination could trigger a
     racial war and thus threaten international peace and security.

     In this context, I should like to quote his Holiness, Pope John
     Paul II who, at the occasion of granting me audience in my
     capacity as Chairman of the United Nations Special Committee
     against Apartheid, in July 1984 said the following:  "Man's
     creation by God 'in his own image' (Gen.1:27) confers upon every
     human person an eminent dignity; it also postulates the
     fundamental equality of all human beings.  For the Church, this
     equality, which is rooted in man's being, acquires the dimension
     of an altogether special brotherhood through the Incarnation of
     the Son of God, whose sacrifice redeemed all people.  In the
     Redemption effected by Jesus Christ, the Church sees a further
     basis of the rights and duties of the human person.  Hence, every
     form of discrimination based on race, whether occasional or
     systematically practised, and whether it is aimed at individuals
     or whole racial groups, is absolutely unacceptable."

     There could be no better example of this sword of Damocles
     hanging over the world today than the policies and practices of
     apartheid, while acknowledging the many other aspects of racial
     bigotry in our imperfect world.  Apartheid, an outdated economic
     and social system built on discredited theories and doctrines
     about a superior race, is institutionalized racism.  It is
     sustained by the very crude and base instincts as well as
     mindless brutality.  Thus, apartheid represents the most
     pervasive denial of human rights and fundamental freedoms
     practised in any human society.  In the course of my work as
     Chairman of the United Nations Special Committee against
     Apartheid, I have followed the anti-apartheid campaign more
     closely and thus got to know more about the tragic consequences
     of that evil and vile system called apartheid.  In turn, I have
     felt deep outrage and been frustrated by the sad fact that, so
     far, apartheid has thrived and defied every conceivable effort
     by decent peoples of goodwill within the international
     community, Governments and institutions alike to eradicate it.

     For its part, the United Nations has been considering the
     question of apartheid for nearly 43 years, nearly as long as the
     United Nations has been in existence.  That apartheid still
     remains a blot on the conscience of mankind is not due to the
     lack of sustained action by the United Nations, its agencies,
     voluntary agencies, individuals or Governments.  We have all come
     to realize that apartheid thrives because of the stubborn
     support, comfort and sustenance given to successive South
     African regimes by Governments, individuals and powerful
     interest groups of some influential nations.  We all know the
     different reasons behind such support.  It bears repeating,
     however, that for some supporters it is greed -- greed in
     exploiting South Africa's mineral resources and the conditions
     of exploitative slave labour under which most of the wealth in
     that country and neighbouring Namibia are created.  For others,
     it is geo-political and strategic considerations.  And yet for
     others, it could well be thinly veiled residual racism.

     It is regrettable that racism and racial discrimination remain

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-