[misc.headlines.unitex] DECOLONIZATION COMMITTEE EXPRESSES DEEP CONCERN AT HURRICANE

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (09/24/89)

DECOLONIZATION COMMITTEE EXPRESSES DEEP CONCERN AT HURRICANE

     Posting Date: 09/24/89      Source: UNITEX Network, Hoboken, NJ, USA
     Host: (201) 795-0733          ISSN: 1043-7932

     The following statement was issued today by the Chairman of the
     Special Committee on decolonization, Tesfaye Tadesse
     (Ethiopia):

     On behalf of the Special Committee and on my own behalf, I wish
     to express our deep concern at the extensive damage caused by
     hurricane Hugo to some of the Non-Self-Governing Territories and
     other countries in the Caribbean region earlier this week,
     resulting in the loss of life, widespread damage and
     destruction.

     In that connection, I wish to note a series of measures being
     undertaken by the administering Powers, namely, the United
     Kingdom and the United States, to extend emergency assistance to
     the peoples of the Territories who have been severely affected
     by the hurricane.  I wish to point out in that regard that some
     Member States of the United Nations and regional organizations,
     as well as the United Nations Development Programme and the
     United Nations Disaster Relief Organization, are also responding
     to requests for emergency assistance from those Territories'
     administrations.

     In expressing our deep sympathy to the peoples of the region, I
     would like, on behalf of the Special Committee, to urge the
     continuation of, and an increase in, those efforts and to
     address an urgent appeal to other States Members of the United
     Nations to extend to the peoples of the region, both bilaterally
     and on a multilateral basis, maximum possible assistance in
     support of national rehabilitation and reconstruction of those
     Territories and countries.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-