DOD NEWS BRIEFING BY MR. PETE WILLIAMS, ASD/PA

     Posting Date: 09/30/89
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

     THURSDAY, Sept 28, 1989

     Mr. Pete Williams, ASD/Public Affairs

     I'd like to welcome Steve Aubin and a group of students from the
     Boston University Center for Defense Journalism to our Pentagon
     Briefing Room today. I look forward to meeting with them this
     afternoon so they can set me straight as well.

     A couple of announcements for you.  Let me go through in some
     detail of where we stand in terms of our relief efforts after
     hurricane Hugo.  I want to bring you up to date on what's
     happened in the following week.  We have pre- pared an extensive
     breakdown for you that will be available here after the bri ing
     is over that indicates -- right down to the last forklift and
     generator -- precisely what we have supplied and where.  So this
     will be available to you. It goes into considerable detail about
     personnel and equipment that's been provided to those areas that
     have been so devastated by the hurricane.  Let me just summarize
     them for you.  I will go by the area into which relief has been
     sent.

     In Puerto Rico, over 2,700 National Guardsmen have been called to
     active duty to assist in the cleanup and restoration duties.  We
     have provided portable generators and electric power repair
     assistance and we continue to provide one of the primary sources
     of fresh water with portable processing units and Navy shipboard
     systems.  Navy and Marine Corps are providing advisor air
     traffic control assistance.  The Air Force continues to provide
     airlift for massive amounts of relief supplies and equipment.
     Navy Seabees are aiding in debris removal, road repair and power
     restoration.

     In the Virgin Islands, our deployed military police continue to
     assist local and federal law enforcement officers in preserving
     law and order with patrols.  No significant law enforcement
     problems have been reported since they arrived.  The MPs are
     providing security for three food warehouses and 24 newly
     established food distribution points on St. Croix.  The 40-bed
     hospital, which was set up by the 109th Evacuation Hospital of
     the Alabama National Guard, is capable of full patient care.
     Task Force 140 medical teams are supporting local clinics and an
     ambulance crew from the 429th Medical Company even delivered a
     baby on September 25th.  Army portable water processors and Navy
     ships also provide potable water, while Navy Seabees are
     repairing transportation and communication facilities.  In all,
     in the Virgin Islands, we have about 1,309 active military
     forces and about 400 National Guard.

     In South Carolina, operations are focusing on removing debris,
     opening roads, waterways and rail lines and other lines of
     communication, ferry opera- tions, and restoring power lines.
     The total support in South Carolina involve some 1,400 Army
     troops, 3,250 National Guard, 495 Marines, and 600 Navy
     Seabees.  Naval Base Charleston is providing medical teams to
     local area shelters to assist in basic medical treatment and to
     provide urgently needed medical supplies, as well as MEDEVAC
     transportation when that is necessary.  T support is part of
     established medical support with local communities.  Twenty-two
     civilian nursing home patients remain hospitalized at Naval
     Hospita Charleston.

     Additionally, there are about 600 National Guardsmen helping out
     in the State of North Carolina.  In all, DoD is providing over
     2,500 federal troops to South Carolina, in addition to almost
     4,000 North and South Carolina Guards

     Not counted in all these totals are the several instances of
     local command and installation assistance to their own
     respective communities.

     So we have all the details for you all broken down, but I wanted
     to kind of summarize where we stand on that.

     In terms of Colombia, we haven't talked about this for a while,
     so I thought I would just review the status of the President's
     emergency aid delivery of supplies to Colombia for their
     counter-narcotics mission.

     So far we have provided about $16 million worth of this
     assistance, that includes shipping charges and emergency aid to
     Colombia military and civil authorities.  Twenty-one people are
     currently in country as part of the Presi- dent's program.
     There's been a total of seven cargo airlifts to Colombia; more
     obviously are to be determined.  DDI has for you the precise
     breakdown of equipment, which is a cumulative report, but I will
     run through it very quickl

     For the police:  (this is cumulative since the program began)
     five UH-1 helicopters; small arms with ammunition;  machine guns
     with ammunition; grenad launchers with ammunition; Claymore

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-