[fa.info-vax] Tops-20 to VMS

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/09/85)

From: Craig E. Ward <cew@isi-hobgoblin.ARPA>

A friend of mine at a non-net site needs to be able to read Tops-20 Dumper
tapes on a VMS 3.6 system.  Does anyone have anything which allows VMS
to read Dumper tapes (and is willing to share it)?

		Thanks

		Craig

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/09/85)

From: David Roode <ROODE@SRI-NIC.ARPA>

A standard mode of interchange is an ANSI standard labeled magnetic
tape, which both TOPS-20 and VAX/VMS can read.  Names are stored
for files on the tape, but no other directory information
is kept.
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/10/85)

From: SYSTEM%CRNLNS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

>From: Craig E. Ward <cew@isi-hobgoblin.ARPA>
>To: info-vax@sri-kl
>Cc: tops-20@su-score
>Subject: Tops-20 to VMS
>
>A friend of mine at a non-net site needs to be able to read Tops-20 Dumper
>tapes on a VMS 3.6 system.  Does anyone have anything which allows VMS
>to read Dumper tapes (and is willing to share it)?
>
>                Thanks
>
>                Craig

With all due respect to the previous answerer, although Tops-20
uses ANSI labels, DUMPER format is unintelligible to VMS.
Tops-20 COPY format is also unreadable, since KLs use 7 bit ASCII
and VAXes uses 8 bit ASCII.

Fortunately, DEC's Integration Tools Clearinghouse supplies free "integration"
software for transporting TOPS-10/20 software to/from VMS, including
a VMS program to read DUMPER and BACKUP tapes.

The following is quoted from Large Systems News, Vol.7, No.4, for
January/February, 1985:

"MARKET [DEC's marketing 2060] can be accessed via 300/1200 baud
modems at (U.S.) 1-617-467-7437 or over ARPAnet, host DEC-MARLBORO.
Customers can log into a special account called LCG.CUSTOMER with
a password of CUSTOMER. There are several mail-lists in which to send
mail. To do this, type 'TOPS-10' for TOPS-10 specific queries and
'INTEGRATION' for integration queries. For more information on these
mail-lists, type 'HELP LISTS'.

"A special mail-list has been set up for customers to request tools.
Just use the mail system (MS) to send a message to 'TOOLS-REQUEST' and
answer all the prompts, stating which tool tapes you want (TOPS-10,
TOPS-20, VMS). The tapes will be mailed to your site free of charge.

"If you have any tools, documentation, or command files that you feel
would be useful to others, we urge you to send them to us. Mail them
to:
        TOOLS
        c/o Integration Program Office
        Digital Equipment Corporation
        One Iron Way, MRO2-2/8D2
        Marlboro, MA  01752"

Depending on your environment, some of the tools can be very useful.

Selden Ball
Cornell U.