[misc.headlines.unitex] VERMONT PUSHES FOR NATION'S SIXTH GREAT LAKE

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/06/89)

VERMONT PUSHES FOR NATION'S SIXTH GREAT LAKE

Via GreenLink:
October 3, 1989

 VERGENNES, Vt. (UPI) -- Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said Monday
he will file legislation seeking to name Lake Champlain the
nation's sixth Great Lake in hopes of winning increased federal
funding for cleanup and research efforts.

 "This lake has taken all the abuse we could give it, and it
still stirs us with its promise and beauty," Leahy told
scientists, environmentalists and government officials gathered
for a two-day symposium on the lake.

 "We have been fighting a delaying action up to now -attempting
to control and limit the damage," Leahy said. "Today, we commit
ourselves to reverse the damage we have done."

 The five Great Lakes -- Michigan, Eerie, Huron, Superior and
Ontario -- currently receive massive amounts of federal funding.
The money is distributed by a government commission.

 "These six lakes are connected to the St. Lawrence Seaway, and
should be treated similarly," Leahy said. "The intensive federal
research and restoration efforts being made in the Great Lakes
should be broadened to include Lake Champlain."

 Lake Champlain is the nation's largest freshwater lake after the
Great Lakes.

 Although relatively clean compared to the Great Lakes, PCBs and
other toxic chemicals make it hazardous to eat some fish pulled
from Champlain. Soil erosion, pesticide runoff, phosphorous
pollution and a large population of parasitic sea lampreys are
also among the Lake's problems.

 Leahy said any future federal legislation regarding Lake
Champlain should free up money for more research on the lake's
ecosystem, monitoring of pollutants, planning for cleanup and the
encouragement of more environmentally sound farming practices
along the lake's shoreline.

 Leahy said fellow Sens. James Jeffords, R-Vt., Daniel Moynihan,
D-N.Y., and Alfonse D'Amato, R-N.Y., will join him in the effort.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-