[misc.headlines.unitex] TIBET: DALAI LAMA'S NOBEL PRIZE REMARKS

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/06/89)

The following is the text of an initial statement made by His Holiness
the XIV Dalai Lama upon being notified of His selection as the Nobel
Peace Prize recipient for 1989.

This statement was made on 5th October 1989 in California where he is
attending an International Conference "Worlds in Harmony".

TibetNet ---------------------------------------------------------

I am deeply touched to be chosen as this year's recipient of the Nobel
Peace Prize. I believe my selection reaffirms the universal values of
non-violence, peace and understanding between all members of our great
human family. We all desire a happier, more humane and harmonious
world, and I have always felt that the practice of love and compassion,
tolerance and respect for others is the most effective manner in which
to bring this about.

I hope this prize will provide courage to the six million people of
Tibet. For some 40 years now Tibetans have been undergoing the most
painful period in our long history.  During this time, over a million
of our people perished and more than 6,000 monasteries - the seat of
our peaceful culture - were destroyed. There is not a single family,
either in Tibet or among the refugees abroad, which has gone unscathed.
Yet, our people's determination and committment to spiritual values and
the practice of non-violence remain unshaken.  This prize is a profound
recognition of their faith and perseverance.

The demonstrations which have rocked Tibet for the past two years
continue to be non-violent despite brutal supression.  Since the
imposition of martial law in Lhasa last March, Tibet has been sealed
off, and while global attention has focused on the tragic events in
China, a systematic effort to crush the spirit and national identity of
the Tibetan people is being pursued by the government of the People's
Republic.

Tibetans today are facing the real possibility of elimination as a
people and a nation. The government of the People's Republic of China
is practicing a form of genocide by relocating millions of Chinese
settlers into Tibet. I ask that this massive population transfer be
stopped.  Unless the cruel and inhuman treatment of my people is
brought to an end, and until they are given their due right to
self-determination, there will always be obstacles in finding a
solution to the Tibetan issue.

I accept the Nobel Peace Prize in a spirit of optimism despite the many
great problems which humanity faces today.  We all know the immensity
of the challenges facing our generation; the problem of
over-population, the threat to our environment, and the dangers of
military confrontation.  As this dramatic century draws to a close it
is clear that the renewed yearning for freedom and democracy sweeping
the globe provides an unprecedented opportunity for building a better
world. Freedom is the real source of human happiness and creativity.
Only when it is allowed to flourish can a genuinely stable
international climate exist.

The supression of the rights and freedoms of any people by totalitarian
governments is against human nature and the recent movements for
democracy in various parts of the world is a clear indication of this.

The Chinese students have given me great hope for the future of China
and Tibet. I feel that their movement follows the tradition of Mahatma
Gandhi's  'ahimsa' or non-violence, which has deeply inspired me ever
since I was a small boy.  The eventual success of all people seeking a
more tolerant atmosphere must derive from a committment to counter
hatred and violence with patience. We must seek change through dialog
and trust. It is my heartfelt prayer that Tibet's plight may be
resolved in such a manner and that once again my country, the Roof of
the World, may serve as a sanctuary of peace and a resource of spirtual
inspiration at the heart of Asia.

I hope and pray that the decision to give me the Nobel Peace Prize will
encourage all those who pursue the path of peace to do so in a renewed
spirit of optimism and strength.

October 5, 1989 Newport Beach, CA

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | FAX: 212-787-1726
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | BBS: 201-795-0733
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | (3/12/24/9600 Baud)
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-