[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/6> DOD: NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/11/89)

DOD: NEWS CONFERENCE WITH SECRETARY OF DEFENSE RICHARD CHENEY

     Posting Date: 10/09/89
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

     FRIDAY, OCT 6, 1989

     Secretary Cheney:  We've received a number of questions, of
     course, in recent days about various and sundry topics.  But out
     of respect for our guest we wanted to separate that press
     briefing from this press briefing.  I'd simply throw the floor
     open to questions.  I'd be happy to respond.

     Q:  Mr. Secretary, was there any moment at all during the
     proceedings on Tuesday when rebels or their emissaries either
     requested or expressed any willingness of any sort to turn
     Noriega over to the United States or permit the United States to
     obtain custody or control of Noriega under any circumstances?

     A:  None.  If there had been any, I think I would have known
     about it, but there was no representation to U.S. officials on
     the scene by the officers that we were in touch with, and this
     was a contact between one of our senior officials in Panama and
     representatives of the rebels, no indication of a willingness to
     provide Noriega to us.  In fact, it was exactly the opposite.
     They indicated to us that they would not turn Noriega over, that
     they did not want him extrad or expelled, that they expected him
     to retire peacefully in Panama.

     Q:  What movements, if any movements, did U.S. military units
     make in response to requests from the rebel leaders?

     A:  We had been notified originally on Sunday, the first contact
     that I was aware of, with respect to the possible coup.  The
     request, in effect, was made, would we be willing to block
     access from the 5th Infantry Company located at Fort Amador,
     which is south of the city, or the 7th Infantry Company located
     west of the city, would we be willing to block their access
     routes into the center of the city where the Comandancia was,
     where the coup was expected to take place.

     We did not tell them we would do that.  What we did do was on
     Tuesday night direct the deployment of forces in a way that they
     would be located in positions where they could in fact have
     interfered with Panamanian forces movi from those two locations
     towards the Comandancia.  Now one of those forces, basically the
     Marines out to the west of the city, had already been scheduled
     to be on an exercise anyway.  It's important for people to
     remember that we continually run exercises down there.  We do it
     on a regular basis.  We've done it for months.  We do it as part
     of our rights under the Panama Canal Treaty. So part of the
     movement that took place on Tuesday was, in fact, previously
     scheduled.

     In addition to that, though, we also deployed a mechanized
     company on the road from Fort Amador so that they would be in a
     position where if we decided we wanted to intervene militarily
     in the coup, we could do so.  Those were the two basic
     movements.

     Now you've got aircraft up in the air and other kinds of things
     going on, but those were the two basic movements that would have
     related to our interven in the coup, had we made such a decision
     to intervene.

     Q:  At the time these were described, and you described them as
     previously planned exercises.

     A:  Part of one of them was.  That was the Marine deployment.
     The other deployment of the mechanized company was in our mind
     related to the possibility that there might be a coup on
     Tuesday.  We'd been told there was going to be one on Monday
     which did not occur.  We were deployed, in position, which I've
     said repeatedly, deployed in a position so that had a decision
     been made to intervene militarily, that we could have done so.

     Q:  At the time those troops were standing in the road, if the
     Noriega loyalists had come down that road, did they in advance
     have authority to stand in their way?

     A:  Again, you're getting into semantical arguments here.  Our
     forces in Panama, when they travel on these exercises, are
     armed.  They have ammunition, live ammunition with them.  They
     are operating under what we call peacetime rules of engagement
     which have been sort of thorougly vetted up and down the line,
     signed off on by the President when we sent troops to Panama last
     summer They are, under those rules of engagement, allowed to
     respond with lethal force if they believe they are in fact
     threatened.  There's never been any doubt about that.  We've got
     a specific set of procedures that they are instructed to go
     through, the officer who commands each one of these units, in
     terms of warning the Panamanians, should we get into a
     confrontation with them down there during the course of our
     exercises.  That is if in fact they interfere with our people, that
     we are prepared to use force to deal with the situation.  They
     are, I think, slated then to wait a certain number of minutes and
     then to proceed if in fact they are interfered with.  That's the
     standing operating rule in Panama for our forces.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Did u read
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | today?
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-