[misc.headlines.unitex] <1/3> DOD: Joint Conf. Sec'y Defense USA/SOVIET MOD YAZOV

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/11/89)

DOD: JOINT CONFERENCE WITH SECDEF AND SOVIET MOD YAZOV

     Posting Date: 10/09/89
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

     Joint News Conference with U.S. Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney
     Soviet Minister of Defense Dmitriy T. Yazov At the Pentagon
     Friday, October 6, l989 - l:30 p.m.

     Secretary Cheney:  Ladies and Gentlemen, the purpose of our
     gathering thi afternoon, of course, is to spend a few minutes in
     a press briefing with Gener Yazov, the Minister of Defense of
     the Soviet Union, and myself.  We will each make statements and
     then take questions.  We have provided for translation.

     At the conclusion of our joint press conference, because I
     understand there are a number of other questions of some
     interest to the press these days once our guest has departed,
     I'll be happy to stay and take questions on other topics.  But I
     would ask you for this first segment with the two of us, to
     focus specifically upon the General's visit, U.S.-Soviet
     relations.  As I say, I'll make myself available to you once
     he's completed, to answer other questio

     I won't recount all of the events that we participated in this
     week.  We spent a good deal of time together on Monday and
     Tuesday, and since then Gener Yazov has been traveling the
     country.  I will simply say that I've been very pleased with
     this series of meetings.  I think the military-to-military
     contac between the United States military officials at the
     Secretarial level and at the senior officer level have been very
     productive.

     We discussed a wide range of issues affecting the military
     relationship between the United States and the Soviet Union, and
     had the opportunity, I think, to mutually enhance our
     understanding of one another's security requirements.

     I hope Minister Yazov and his colleagues enjoyed the visit as
     much as we enjoyed serving as their host.

     Minister Yazov:  Thank you.

     Ladies and Gentlemen, first of all, I would like to tell you that
     my meet and conversations with the U.S. President George Bush
     and the U.S. Secretary o Defense, Mr. Cheney, made the major
     content of my work here.

     The primary thought of our conversation was devoted to how to
     bulid friendship, develop mutual understanding, and increase our
     relationships in other ways between our two militaries and
     between our two nations.  It is impossible to build up trust
     without looking at each other, without meeting with each other,
     and without talking to each other.

     It is only as a result of regular conferences and meetings that
     we manage to reach agreement on the INF Treaty.  The talks
     between the Foreign Minister of the Soviet Union, Eduard
     Shevardnadze, and the Secretary of State Baker gav a significant
     push to the ongoing talks on START and on conventional forces in
     Europe.

     This visit of ours which is going on now is a continuation of the
     meeting between our two sides, and it provides for promoting
     understanding.  It helps our nations understand each other
     better.  Of course, it is essential today that the
     representatives of our two militaries meet with each other,
     should be engaged in frequent exchanges, and should become more
     open towards each other.

     Last year, the Secretary of Defense went on a visit to the Soviet
     Union. Earlier this year, the Chairman of the JCS, Admiral
     Crowe, visited the Soviet Union.  We did our best to show the
     American military delegation that we are prepared to carry on
     the dialogue with the United States in order to strengthe
     relationships and friendships.

     Based on the atmosphere of openness and glastnost, thanks to
     Secretary Cheney, this program of the tour of the United States
     was drawn up and we completed it.  We visited the state of
     California.  We visited San Diego.  We were hosted by Pacific
     Fleet Commander, Admiral Jeremiah, as well as we were hosted by
     Vice Admiral Kihune.  We saw a very interesting exercise the
     observed how the U.S. Marines are being trained.

     Then we proceeded to visit the Luke Air Force Base in the state
     of Arizon At that base, the U.S. Air Force pilots showed very
     high training standards, flying the modern F-16 aircraft.  That
     was an unforgettable show.  What's more we were allowed to see
     all of the military hardware which is now in service with the
     U.S. Air Force.

     Yesterday afternoon, we arrived at Fort Bragg in the state of
     North Carol LTG Steiner this morning staged an exercise with an
     element of the famous 82nd Airborne Division.  We know this
     division when we recall the years of the 2nd World War when that
     division took part in the Normandy invasion operation.  We were
     greatly satisfied by the way the paratroopers of the 82nd
     Airborne operat by the way they handled their standard equipment
     and weapons, and the tactics they employed and the power they
     showed struck us immensely.

     I believe exchanges like these between both of our sides
     contribute to building up our mutual understanding, and we
     agreed with Secretary Cheney that an additional plan of mutual
     exchanges would be drawn up for the year of 1990.  Those
     exchanges would allow us to have more and more representatives of
     our tw militaries involved in the process of meeting with each

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Did u read
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | today?
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-