[misc.headlines.unitex] <3/3> DOD: JOINT CONFERENCE WITH SECDEF AND SOVIET MOD

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/11/89)

     Soviet Union has considered i a threat in the past and has tried
     to negotiate it away.  Do you still conside the American
     Strategic Defense Initiative a threat?  Would you still like to
     see it go away?

     A:  Could you answer the question I would like to pose to you.
     Are you aware of what SDI actually is?   Could you explain to me
     what SDI is.  What is (Laughter)

     Q:  If I could explain it to you, then I could trade places with
     you.  (Laughter)  Apparently your government considers it enough
     of a threat or enou of an issue that they have tried repeatedly
     to negotiate it away.  Apparently they knew what they were
     trying to negotiate away.  Could you discuss it in those terms?

     A:  Yes, I can explain it to you.  As long as we are talking now
     on reduc strategic offensive arms, evidently the final objective
     of this negotiating process is the anihilation of nuclear
     inventories of the sides.  As long as ou final objective in
     terms of nuclear weapons is complete anihilation of nuclear
     weapons, what will SDI have as objectives?  It wouldn't have any
     objectives to be directed (inaudible).

     We believe in the past, and we believe now, that the attempt to
     develop and create SDI is an attempt to encourage another cycle
     of the arms race to involve the Soviet Union into the arms
     race.  What explicitly the Soviet Union declared that we are
     against spreading the race into outer space and that we i the
     Soviet Union do not intend to create any similar SDI, space-based
     weapon systems.

     So far the SDI project does not have any specific limits to it.
     If we continue to confirm or persist that the American SDI is
     threatening the Soviet Union, then the negotiating process would
     be hampered greatly.  It would be impossible to reach agreements
     on START.  So we decided not to make the SDI an absolute
     precondition which would hamper the process in this regard.  And
     also that the SDI is something hypothetical and nothing
     practical.

     Q:  Mr. Minister, how does the concept of perestroika apply to
     the Soviet military?  What changes have taken place?  What
     changes can we expect?  Would it be normal to expect that the
     Defense Minister would be a civilian under parastroyka?

     A:  It is difficult for me to answer this question explicitly.  I
     mean, when you have in mind whether we are going to have a
     civilian Minister of Defense in the years ahead, starting from
     the years of the old Russia, the Russia of Kiev, the military
     power has always been led by a military man,--the men that were
     knowledgable in the field of tactics and strategy.  (Inaudible)
     in the Soviet Union, the Supreme Soviet of the Soviet Union
     (inaudible) otherwise and might decide to have a civilian person as
     head of the Department of Defens in the Soviet Union.  This is
     not a question of principle, I believe.  Whoever is going to be
     appointed will have to face the responsibility of heading the
     military of defense.  I don't believe that a Minister of Defense
     would have (inaudible) to drop from a plane with a parachute.
     The Minister of Defense is more of a political analyst and a
     politician.  But on the other hand, it is difficult to separate
     perfectly the military affairs from the political affair

     As far as the question of how the Soviet military are referring
     to the perestroika going on in the Soviet Union, we all are
     supporting the renewal processes in our society.  The renewal in
     the Soviet military is not as noticed as it is noticeable in the
     national economy.  We are trying to put more democractic more
     (inaudible) in the relationships among (inaudible).  We are
     supporting more and more openness in the relations among the
     military.  You understand that perestroika was not comprised of
     (inaudible).  Perestroika was intended to bring about a renewal
     of the relations in the Soviet society as a whole.  And you must
     understand the renewal processes have touched upon the ways of
     the military in our armed forces.

     I want to give you one example.  Among the Deputies of the new
     Supreme Soviet there are 93 military officers.  We have there a
     military cadet (inaudible almost any military grade you name it.
     (Inaudible) on his own initiative for the Office of the Deputy
     and was supported by (inaudible) constituency.  The opposing
     member who was a general officer was defeated in the election
     campaig So (inaudible) armed forces.

     At the latest session of the Supreme Soviet there were lieutenant
     colonel that voted against the proposal of the Minister of
     Defense of the Soviet Union (Inaudible) of the Minister of
     Defense.  So these are the rights enjoyed by al the citizens of
     our society.

     So to a certain extent the perestroika processes have already
     been practi in the armed forces of the USSR.

     Secretary Cheney:  If I may, Ladies and Gentlemen, in light of
     the hour, thank the Defense Minister for his remarks.  I would
     like to at this point say that I accept his kind invitation to
     visit the Soviet Union on a date to be determined.  And I look
     forward to having the opportunity to return the visit, the
     historic first visit ever, by the Soviet Defense Minister to the
     United States.

     Thank you.

     Minister Yazov:  Thank you, Ladies and Gentlemen, and goodbye.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Did u read
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange | today?
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-