[misc.headlines.unitex] CBS "THIS MORNING" INT'VW : CAPT. PETER WILLCOX- RAINBOW WARRIOR

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/23/89)

CBS "THIS MORNING" INTERVIEW WITH CAPTAIN PETER WILLCOX, RAINBOW WARRIOR

     Posting Date: 10/20/89        Copyright UNITEX Communications, 1989
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

     CBS "THIS MORNING" INTERVIEW WITH:
     CAPTAIN PETER WILLCOX, RAINBOW WARRIOR
     MONDAY, OCTOBER 2, 1989

     HARRY SMITH:  The Greenpeace Organization has a new flagship.
     It's a new "Rainbow Warrior" launched this summer.  The old
     "Rainbow Warrior" was destroyed by two underwater bombs while
     docked at Auckland, New Zealand in 1985.  She was about to lead
     a protest against French nuclear testing.  Two French
     Intelligence Agents later plead guilty to the bombing which
     killed one person.  Peter Willcox is the captain of the "Rainbow
     Warrior," and he joins us live from the South Street Seaport
     here in New York this morning.  Good morning, Peter.

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  Good morning.

     MR. SMITH:  Where will you go first?  What is your first mission
     with the new "Rainbow Warrior?"

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  Well, we leave from South Street on October 11
     for Auckland, New Zealand, where our first action would be
     against "drift-net" fishing in the Pacific.

     MR. SMITH:  Explain "drift-net" fishing for the uninitiated.

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  Well, drift-nets are nets in the water up to 70
     miles long that go down 50 feet in the water, which catch
     everything in the water, whether it's marine mammals, birds,
     dolphins, seals, whales.  The big problem with them is that as
     the fishing starts decreasing in the world, fishermen become
     more desperate to catch fish.  The drift-nets catch everything,
     and it's a very improper way of managing a resource.

     MR. SMITH:  Some people call it -- it's like strip mining the
     oceans.

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  Exactly.  It's like planting a vegetable garden,
     waiting until the carrots come up and then collecting everything
     in your garden.  It makes no sense, and it's the worse way for
     the earth to manage what resources there are.

     MR. SMITH:  What tactic will you take when you go the South
     Seas?

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  Well, our first job will be to document the
     nets  -- the destruction they cause, what they're doing.  I
     expect, and we are planning now, to do a direct-action to stop a
     fishing boat from setting in that -- we can't say exactly now
     what we will do, but we'll do something in a peaceful,
     nonviolent way to bring to everybody's attention the destruction
     the nets cause and the damage they create.

     MR. SMITH:  You say "peaceful" and you say "nonviolent;" yet at
     the same time, Greenpeace has always had a -- a sort of
     confrontational tactic or approach that it has used.  In this
     day and age, when you hear more and more people talking about
     them becoming environmentalists, isn't it time that maybe you
     change your tactics a little bit?

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  No, I don't think so.  I think today it becomes
     more and more apparent that we have to do everything we possibly
     can to make everybody in the world aware of the environmental
     destruction that's going on.  No, Greenpeace, doesn't plan to
     change our tactics, we plan to become better at what we do, and
     we plan to do more things.  We do a lot of environmental
     lobbying; we do a lot of reseach, and we'll continue the direct
     actions.

     MR. SMITH:  You have three million people in Greenpeace now, an
     annual budget over $75 million.  As an organization, what are
     your priorities?

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  The protection of the earth, basically.  The
     things we're working on are nuclear proliferation.  We have a
     big campaign against the increasing use of nuclear weapons at
     sea. We're trying to save Antartica, turn it into a world park;
     protection of marine mammals.  We've done many campaigns against
     acid rainfall, destruction of the atmosphere.  We're concerned
     with anything that affects the earth.

     MR. SMITH:  Peter Willcox, the skipper of the new "Rainbow
     Warrior," from Greenpeace, thank you so much for joining us, and
     we hope you can come in from the rain now.

     CAPT. WILLCOX:  You're very welcome.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Screen Gems in
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange |
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-