[misc.headlines.unitex] SECRETARY-GENERAL'S MESSAGE ON OCCASION OF UNITED NATIONS DAY

unitex@rubbs.fidonet.org (unitex) (10/25/89)

SECRETARY-GENERAL'S MESSAGE ON OCCASION OF UNITED NATIONS DAY

     Posting Date: 10/20/89        Copyright UNITEX Communications, 1989
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

     Following is the text of a message by Secretary-General Javier
     Perez de Cuellar on the occasion of United Nations Day (24
     October):

     As we observe United Nations Day this year, there are growing
     signs that international relations may be entering a new and
     more positive era.  As rarely before, nations are now
     recognizing that they must address international problems
     multilaterally, through consultation and compromise. And,
     increasingly, they are turning to the United Nations.

     At such a time, it is encouraging that the search for the bases
     of peace between the most powerful nations is also finding
     practical expression within the world Organization.  There is a
     growing determination on their part to work together with the
     other members of the Security Council and, indeed, with the
     membership of the Organization as a whole, for the resolution of
     certain long-standing disputes.  Moreover, the dangers of the
     new generation of global problems, such as the degradation of
     the environment and drug abuse, have compelled all nations to
     realize that solutions can only be found through collective
     action.

     There is, however, no reason for complacency.  Conflicts still
     persist in many parts of the globe.  The build-up of arms has
     not ceased.  Far too many people still live in absolute poverty
     without adequate food or shelter and face discrimination on
     grounds of race, religion, sex or political belief.  We are a
     long way from achieving universal respect for human rights.  All
     this demands our commitment and our action.

     As we approach the final decade of the century, we have the
     immense responsibility and also the possibility of ensuring that
     future generations live in a peaceful and secure planet.  I see
     signs of a new commitment on the part of the people of the world
     to act together towards this goal.  The United Nations can and
     will make a vital contribution to this common endeavour.

     For all the dangers and difficulties, the time is therefore full
     of hope.  Let the ideals and vision of the Charter guide us as
     we transform hope into commitment and commitment into the
     achievement of peace, dignity and economic and social progress
     for every man, woman and child on earth.

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Screen Gems in
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange |
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-